Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving files to a USB or SD card without Mac's hidden files

OK, here's what I'm trying to do ...

My wife's VW car can play music files (.mp3 etc) from a SD card. She has lots of music files on our shared mac, and we can easily copy a selection of these onto a SD card for use in the car. So far so good.

Here's the problem though ...

The VW music system sees both the 'proper' music file and the normally hidden files that OSX as created alongside them ( ._<name>, .DS_Store, .Trashes etc), annoyingly displaying all of them in its music files lists. I can show hidden files in Finder and delete them, and/or delete them in Terminal, and/or put the SD card into a Windows machine, display hidden files, search for the unwanted ones and delete them. However, when we put the card back in the mac to update or add new ones, we get the same issues again.

Is there any way to copy files to a SD card (or indeed any other device) without creating the unwanted hidden files in the first place?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

(Mid 2010 iMac, OSX Yosemite auto-updated)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 3:51 PM

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6707/how-to-stop-os-x-from-writing-spot light-and-trash-files-to-memory-cards-and-usb should do the trick.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10.1), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

1 reply

Saving files to a USB or SD card without Mac's hidden files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.