Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are all security updates automatic or can I set preferences?

I was out for a couple of hours. When I came back to my Macbook I had a notification that a security update had been installed.

1) Is there any record anywhere of what update was installed?

2) Do I have any choice or can I set preferences about when and if downloads/updates happen and are installed?

I know there is a list here: Apple security updates - Apple Support

but I want to know if there is place on my machine where i can see the updates and compare . . just to see if, for example the December 22 update is installed.

I can also see other updates in the app store but I don't see any security updates and the updates that are listed there don't have any dates attached.

Thanks very much,

Michael

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 2:36 PM

The NTP Security Update will automatically be installed unless the option ‘Install system data files and security updates’ was turned off in the App Store pane of System Preferences. You’ll be prompted for all the updates which that setting doesn’t apply to.

(118744)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2014 2:36 PM in response to mcetaruk

The NTP Security Update will automatically be installed unless the option ‘Install system data files and security updates’ was turned off in the App Store pane of System Preferences. You’ll be prompted for all the updates which that setting doesn’t apply to.

(118744)

Dec 23, 2014 2:54 PM in response to Niel

Thanks, I did have that setting checked for security updates but I guess it hasn't happened automatically, if ever. In fact, this article seems to be saying this was the first automatic one ever?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-apple-cybersecurity-idUSKBN0K108W20 141223

So, is there a place that I can see what security updates have been installed?

I can see all the app updates in the app store but not security "patches."

Thanks again,

Michael

Dec 24, 2014 2:50 PM in response to mcetaruk

mcetaruk wrote:

Awesome, perfect answer, Thanks

it was actually: About this Mac > More Info . . . > System Report > Software > Installations and then sort by Install Date.

The app, System Information, is in the Utilities folder. It can be accessed as you noted, or by holding down the Option key while selecting the Apple menu. About this Mac will become System Information.

Are all security updates automatic or can I set preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.