Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OCSPD downloads - seem continuous

New to MAC and find that OCSPD process uses up most of my internet activity, which as I'm on limit data I can't afford. I've looked up what this does but even visiting only one site through Safari, download gets to 38MB before I switch off the modem.

Is this normal, what can I do?

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 1:50 PM

11 replies

Dec 24, 2014 7:39 AM in response to u3g14b4

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

/var/db/crls

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Move all the files in the folder that opens to the Trash. You’ll be prompted for your administrator password. Restart the computer, empty the Trash, and test.

Dec 24, 2014 9:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Spoke too soon, all the files are back and the downloads have resumed. Wonder what is really going on there? Some poor person has posted that they lost 1.5G in a day. Mine will become an ornament if it can't be sorted out. Will have to investigate whether wireshark or similar runs on mac. May need to chat to the place I bought it from if it can't be sorted....

Would appreciate any further advice.

Dec 25, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for all your help Linc, no idea why I was sold a machine with an outdated operating system in the first place.Guessing I will have to pay for the "upgrade" to something that will work for me. I've resisted giving my CC details to the app store so unless I can get it without doing that, it won't be an option.

Weirdest thing is that after a day or so of use the machine notified that there was an operating system update and I accepted i thinking it was an upgrade to Yosemite as that was splashed all over the page it took me to. Now see that it's 10.9 vs 10.10.

Thanks again, won't pester again, if the upgrade can't go through free I'll see if I can arrange a refund and stick to what I've used for 30 Years.

Dec 25, 2014 2:05 PM in response to Linc Davis

Back 🙂, found further discussions and noticed that you have contributed a lot, thanks.I see that the upgrade is around 5.5G so that cuts me out with only 6G per Month.

I've also noticed with mail (1 account added with only 14 small emails) that the usage each time I logged on was around 78MB which is unasseptable as some would say. Also when logging on to apple to check for yosemite, safari usage was 6.8 MB which also seems excessive...

If the following is/was true and the time limit was increased to anything under around 30 mins it wouldn't solve my problem as my speed is really slow and based on past experience 30 MB takes around 30 Mins.

Steffel Dec 10, 2013 6:44 AM
Re: OCSP Service using up quite a bit of bandwidth in response to emlynuk

Hi All,

have you seen this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5578275?answerId=23948089022#23948089022

It seems that devimages.apple.com which is part of the ocspd process tries to download a 35MB file but only keeps the connection alive for about 7 seconds. This time is too short for most of the Internet conncetions to receive the full file, so the system seems to try to get the full file again and again (for 7 seconds). Some users report they have seen up to 50 times the attempt to download this file resulting in 1GB of traffic per day.

On our server, this problem still seems to be persisting. It does not seem to be solved yet and I guess this will have to be adressed with a system update.

For us this isn't a problem as we have a real Internet flatrate, but what about all the mass of people with a limited data plan in the rest of the world? I don't understand why this isn't even commented by Apple.

This is getting Windows like! ;-)

Regards

Steffel

OCSPD downloads - seem continuous

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.