Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

POWER MAC UPGRADE POSSIBLE I7 5960X?

I saw a used power mac for sale, and I'm wondering if I could upgrade it myself and still run osx? I'd like to put a i7 5960x into it and upgrade to 64 gb ram, thinking quadro k4200 for Rhinoceros / VRAY. would this be possible?

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 9:26 PM

8 replies

Dec 24, 2014 11:33 AM in response to rebubula

If it has an Intel processor and is a big silver tower model, it is not a PowerMac but a Mac Pro. To be sure, enter the serial number into this Apple support page to get the exact model translated:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Apple has not use socketed processors in a long time; you can't switch processors without change the logic board. Replacement logic boards are neither cheap or easy to come by.

If you look at this site lisit Mac Pro specs since its introduction in 2006, you'll see they have used sever-grade processors for a long time, so you may not need an upgrade:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/index-macpro.html

Dec 24, 2014 2:15 PM in response to rebubula

I would like it to be as fast as possible. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I want to run Rhinoceros and Preform, Mesh Mixer, Inventor fusion, In Design, Illustrator and Photoshop. Also have a dedicated boot camp ssd to run Revit, and Rhino with Grasshopper and 3ds max on the dark side. I want at least 64 gb of memory now, but expandability up to 128 w DDR4 ram because i work with models that have 3-5000 parts, and meshes with millions of faces. I don't know what video cards I'm getting, but I'd like to have (2) 4k screens for modeling, and i have another 2560 x1440 screen that i want to set up vertical for menus and file management. Also the cards need CUDA because i'm interested in using Lumion.

POWER MAC UPGRADE POSSIBLE I7 5960X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.