Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail refuses gmail password

Very suddenly, I can't use my password (the same one that works in Gmail). For example, when I try to send a message, I get an error message saying that "smtp.gmail.com:[myname]" has been rejected. As I said, I can use the password for Gmail. I just don't like the Gmail setup and limitations. I've read all the FAQs I can find; I've contacted Gmail help and got a totally irrelevant, extremly brief reply about doing something I had already done (to restrict access by questionable Websites); I've contacted Apple Mail's (kind-of) help and got no reply whatever. I also got a message from Gmail saying that someone had tried using my password and asking whether I did it. I hit the button indicating that yes, I did. No improvement in Mail. Now what? Some months ago, there really was an attempt (from China) to use my password, and I had to change it, but not recently. What now?

I'm really frustrated, because though Mail isn't my ideal as a mail program, it beats all out of Gmail and Mindspring's mail. (I haven't tried Mindspring for years, because I really don't use that program, anymore.) I hope I don't have to change the password again. I'm only now getting used to the one I had to choose because of the Chinese interference with my account. Google didn't suggest that, by the way, and I don't know whether that even is related to my problem. On the other hand, changing the password could be easier than some other things I might have to do to revive my limping app.

I shall soon have to go from Leopard to Snow Leopard, because I'm getting complaints from Firefox and others about my not having up-to-date versions. Would that help, do you think, with the Mail problem? (I hope it won't mean having to update all my other programs!) I have a MacBook running 10.5.8. Apart from its internal optical drive having gone belly-up and a terrific slowdown of everything since I updated Skype (kicking and screaming like the rest of you), it is great.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

jenny

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 9:44 PM

Hello, try this...

belfastpbDec 23, 2014 3:17 AM
Re: Has Google Mail stopped support for Apple Mail on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard?in response to BDAqua | This helped me

Just to say I've discovered what was wrong with my Dad's PowerPC!

It seems that from last July Gmail has upped their security for 'less secure apps' - which includes any PowerPC email apps. This stopped Dad from getting access to Gmail via IMAP, SMTP or POP while using OSX 10.5.8.

However, you can go into your Google account and enable 'Access for Less Secure Apps'(which does leave Dad's machine less secure - but at least allows him to use Apple Mail.)

See here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Thanks for the help on this. Much appreciated.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2014 9:44 PM in response to jennywren1420

Hello, try this...

belfastpbDec 23, 2014 3:17 AM
Re: Has Google Mail stopped support for Apple Mail on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard?in response to BDAqua | This helped me

Just to say I've discovered what was wrong with my Dad's PowerPC!

It seems that from last July Gmail has upped their security for 'less secure apps' - which includes any PowerPC email apps. This stopped Dad from getting access to Gmail via IMAP, SMTP or POP while using OSX 10.5.8.

However, you can go into your Google account and enable 'Access for Less Secure Apps'(which does leave Dad's machine less secure - but at least allows him to use Apple Mail.)

See here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Thanks for the help on this. Much appreciated.

Dec 24, 2014 4:11 AM in response to BDAqua

Well, it partly resolved the issue. I can get rid of one roadblock: the message about the Gmail smtp is gone now. But how Apple's own mail app could be a "less secure" one really makes no sense; I was able to get into Gmail, just fine before; my computer is not a PPC one; and it's not one of those other devices using 10.5.8. I also forgot to say that I hadn't been able to retrieve any mail since 10 a.m. on December 22. That still is the case.

I'll see whether the mail comes along, in a while, but if not, I"m not sure what I can do. And all this happened because I obeyed Gmail's suggestion that I disable the access to my computer of "less secure apps"! Or so it seems. I was just tryiing to do the right thing. Maybe I shall have to install Snow Leopard now, after all.

But thank you, BDAqua. Cross your fingers that I get my mail from the last few days now. if you or anyone else has a suggestion about that, I'd be glad. I'm going nuts with Gmail and its sorting my mail into folders of its own devising. Not that folders aren't a good idea, but their choice of what goes into those folders is truly strange, with all kinds of messages mixed togeether, and I really prefer to see all my messages in one place. Not to speak of the fact that you have to click on arrows constantly to see fifty-message groups; you can't scroll down and so on. Sorry. I'm just feeling really cranky and feeling manipulated by forces outside my control.

That said, thanks again for unraveling one part of my problem.

Apple Mail refuses gmail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.