Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best data recovery software for Mac Os X 10.10

I need to recover data that was deleted on a WD external HDD. I am using a mac mini with Os X 10.10.

I would like to use a reliable and safe data recovery product.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 9:33 PM

4 replies

Jul 13, 2017 7:34 AM in response to robertfromeaglemont

File recovery software is expensive, services more so.

See if this is of help (also $90):

https://secure.subrosasoft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&produc ts_id=1&zenid=a0b1666c6a2baeb80aec815e90eb7cec

FileSalvage can currently recover over 100 file types, embedded and stand-alone.

It will recover both computer files and RAW camera files, as it works on digital camera memory cards.

Jan 6, 2015 12:40 AM in response to robertfromeaglemont

The file was fragmented. To fully recover a file it needs to be continuous on the hard drive. If the file was fragmented it was broken into pieces across the hard drive. The recovery program can't know this so would each piece as a different file as it no longer has a map to go off of.

There will probably be many files with a random letter/number combo for a name. Within these may be the missing parts of the video. While there may be some advanced forensic techniques to reconstitute the files. I think that would go beyond some forum advice to needing years of advanced training in data recovery.

You can try Nucleus Kernel Macintosh. It is by far the most thorough and robust data recovery I have used but requires Windows to run even though it recovers Mac volumes.

For OS X native try Stellar Phoenix. I didn't find it as good but it is definitely the best I know of for Os X 10.10.

I would not bother with Data Rescue or Disk Warrior. They will not do a deep scan of the hard drive. They also won't do a scan if the partition table was lost and won't try to plow through disk errors.

Also $70 to $100 for data recovery software is very cheap compared to professional.

Edit: I also hope you are recovering files to a different drive than that external you wiped and that you have not been adding any files to it. Otherwise that data will be mangled fast.

Jul 17, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Prokopegan

I realize this topic is old, but some corrections need to be made on this post.

The file was fragmented. To fully recover a file it needs to be continuous on the hard drive. If the file was fragmented it was broken into pieces across the hard drive. The recovery program can't know this so would each piece as a different file as it no longer has a map to go off of.

100% wrong. It doesn't matter if a file is fragmented or not. Recovery software reads deleted files the same way the OS and all other apps do. By following the markers written at the end of each sector/block that tells either which is the next sector/block to go to.

I would not bother with Data Rescue or Disk Warrior. They will not do a deep scan of the hard drive.

Also 100% wrong. I have both of these titles, and both have the option of a quick scan or a deep scan, and always have.

best data recovery software for Mac Os X 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.