Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" external display does not show all resolutions

Hi there!

Just bought a Samsung S27D850, which has a max resolution of 2560x1440. This is working just fine on my rMBP with the supplied HDMI cable.

I have an iMac 27" mid 2011 (3,4 GHz i7 with the 2 GB gfx card), which according to Apple specs should be able to run up to a 30" display in 2560x1600. When I connect the Samsung to the iMac, either via Thunderbolt -> DVI or Thunderbolt -> HDMI, all I can choose from on the Samsung is 1080p, 720p, 1600x900 and 1344x756? I searched a lot, and found various pages where people had similar problems with Dell 27" monitors, and some hacks to edit the EDID informations from the monitor, but this did not help 😟

Anyone having some ideas how to make my external display work correctly?

PS: Both machines are running 10.9.4, so it should not be an issue with OSX, and I know for sure that at least the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter is qualified for this resolution, as it is 4K compatible (bought is because I thought it was the Thunderbolt -> DVI that was the issue)

Merry christmas!

/Tommy

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 10:26 PM

7 replies

Dec 24, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Tomlar1977

I didn't doubt that you had selected Scaled to see the available resolutions, however many users are not aware that when the Option button is held too, it will reveal more resolution options. As you had not stated that in your original post that you had tried it, I could not read your mind from here.

As you say, the iMac should be able to drive the resolution. Even though the cables work on the rMBP, its possible that this older Mac may only be able to achieve that resolution using direct Thunderbolt or DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI. Looking at this page iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) - Technical Specifications it does not explicitly say what connection type will achieve the resolution, but I do note, that it doesn't mention HDMI at all.

User uploaded file

Dec 25, 2014 1:38 AM in response to 107MP

As I write, I tried both Thunderbolt to DVI, as Thunderbolt to HDMI - and the HDMI cable is compliant to the resolution, as my rMBP starts on 2560x1440 when I connect that one to the display - which also gives me the idea that it also can't be the EDID information, because then the rMBP would also not be able to see and use that resolution!

/Tommy

Mar 25, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Tomlar1977

I'm having the same issue.

2 external monitors.

Acer 21" max of 1920x1080

Monoprice 27. max of 2560x1440

I can't get the Monoprice higher than 1920x1080

BUT-- I went back & looked @ the adapters I bought.

The TBolt to DVI adapters max rez is 1920x1080. States in clearly in the Specs

TeraGrand http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FKRSUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

Cable Matters http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESM3JKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

So;

Look @ at your adapter's spec's

PS--

I haven't found an adapter that will do 2560 yet.

Lemme know if you find something

iMac 27" external display does not show all resolutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.