Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting fails with disk0s2: I/O error and EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Hello, everyone !

I have some issues with an iMac that doesn't want to boot up. It tries to 2 times then the infinite spinning circle appears. The verbose mode and single user mode tell me what's happening but can someone tell me if the problem is possible to solve ? I can't input a single letter in Single User and when I select a OXS Installation Disc, it boots on the internal drive, no matter what I do.

Here are some photos (you can download them and zoom in, it's easier to read) :

User uploaded file

Then

User uploaded file

And finally : "USBF: 47.918 AppleUSBHubPort: Port 2 of Hub at 8xfd500000 about to terminate a busy device (Apple Keyboard) after waiting 10 seconds" and it shuts off on its own..

Does anyone have some clue, please ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Sincerely

Charles

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 2:31 AM

9 replies

Dec 24, 2014 11:19 AM in response to N3M1C0

That's a start, but there is no "G6", so it could be Intel powered. Although the last G5s and the first Intel iMacs look almost identical externally, there are major internal differences between troubleshooting a PowerPC (G3, G4, or G5) Mac and the newer intel Macs, so let's pin it down farther,

As the computer apparently does not start, we can go from the serial number which I believe is on a sticker on the underside of the "foot" upon which the computer stands. Get the serial number and enter it into this Apple web page:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

It should return a model designation. If this computer is too old (possible) for this to work, you have the same function on this external site:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

We are looking for the model description ( ex., "iMac G5 17-inch iSight" or "iMac 2006 17-inch") rather than a model number but, if all you get is a model number (starts with "A" or "M"), we can work with that.

As it's Christmas Eve and we have a house full of people, I may not be able to get back here right away but I will try to check in within a couple of hours.

Allan

Dec 24, 2014 3:28 PM in response to N3M1C0

Did you notice that the mac could not verify the filesystem. It found errors. It does try to fix the problem if it can. You could try DiskWarrior for a more expensive and extensive repair. There are no guarantees it will work.

I select a OXS Installation Disc, it boots on the internal drive, no matter what I do.

I'm concerned a out this.

Try this:

Start with DVD in drive. Power off your machine. Hold down the option key when you poweron. This will bring up the startup manager. Click on cd/dvd. Click on right arrow. ( I think that this is your best approach. )

Your statup manager may be slightly different, but this is the idea.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106178

I do not think you can get into single user mode with a firmware password. Without a firmware password, you should be able to get into startup manager. You have the correct dvd?

Robert

Jan 25, 2015 11:30 AM in response to N3M1C0

I'm in agreement with my prior post.

There are other sites that have info on vintage machines. Info from:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Processor
CPU speed:- 2.16 GHz
CPU Type:- Intel, Core 2 Duo (Merom)
Cores:- 2
Bus Speed:- 667 MHz
Cache:- 4 MB L2 cache
64-bit:- Yes
Turbo Boost:- No

Original OS:- 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 Tiger.
Maximum OS:- 10.7.4 Lion
Recommended OS:- OS X 10.7.4 Lion
iLife Supported:- Coming Soon

Jan 25, 2015 12:12 PM in response to rccharles

Hi rccharles,

I can access the startup manager but I only have OS X 10.9 & 10.10 on USB keys. So it appears I can't install those.
It doesn't matter what I do, I can select anything I want in the startup manager, the computer always starts with the internal drive (and it loads infinitely).

Does this particular computer need a CD and can't accept nothing else ? Or will it boot a version of OS X under the maximum value ?

Thanks !

Booting fails with disk0s2: I/O error and EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.