Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag & Drop freezes in Yosemite

In the last few days my Macbook Pro with OS 10.10.1 has developed a problem with drag & drop: as I try to drag an icon or a group of icons from one location to another, the icons freeze about halfway and then cannot be moved. This has occurred with trying to move single files or folders from one folder to another, also trying to get an app into the dock. It is just the icon(s) I'm trying to move which freeze in place - the cursor doesn't freeze. The only thing that unfreezes the icon is relaunching Finder, but of course this also aborts the move.

So far I have tried: repairing permissions for the hard drive; resetting the P-ram; just putting the computer to sleep for a while. None of these has worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 11:50 PM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2015 5:18 AM in response to dnr16

Will this be fixed in the next update?

I really appreciate the extra space in the finder columns without file icons, and my colleagues do too.

Because we have many files with long and complicated names, all of the same file type.

Also, Finder is faster without icons.

So, Apple, could you please make this work again?

Drag & Drop freezes in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.