Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change from kilometers to miles in iOS 8

Like others I've seen (with no replies), my iPad 2 on iOS 8 Maps app defaults to kilometers instead of miles - even though the region is set to US in general settings. Every time I select 'distance in miles' in the Maps app's settings - the app defaults back to kilometers. Is there some other setting I need to change Somewhere else in the the settings?

FYI iphone 6 properly displays 'distance in miles' in the Maps app.

ironically, when I was in China last year the km default was OK - now I'm back in the states, ihave a much more difficult time adjusting to and 'thinking in' kilometers.

thanks in advance, - rick

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 3:03 AM

15 replies

Dec 25, 2014 5:33 AM in response to Skydiver119

Hey Skydiver119,

Thank you you for taking the time to reply.

sorry I wasn't more clear; the iPad language is indeed set to English - not one of the British, Australian or Indian English options Of English. The region format is specified as United States. Yet, the Apple Maps App defaults to 'distance in kilometers'. in fact no matter what I type or how I try to change the region settings, the map apps defaults to distance in kilometers. and maps app will not save to 'distance in miles'.

thank you, -Rick

Jan 14, 2015 2:07 AM in response to berklee.grad

Hi,

I am in UK and I have the exact problem just with the miles and kilometres inverted.

So I set my region to UK and language to british English, I would like to use kilometres but when I set Maps from miles to kilometres, it just go back to miles every time.

I have also AppleCare and I called them, but other than make me reset the device 2 times and making me waste 1 hour to do so, they weren't helpful.

Cheers

Raf

Jan 21, 2015 5:24 PM in response to berklee.grad

I have found the same problem where my iPad mini 2 is stuck in "kilometers". An interesting twist is that my wife's iPad mini is stuck in "miles". Another interesting point is that my iPad was purchased in the US while my wife's was purchased in the Netherlands. This may only be a coincidence. What I do remember is that as we were living in the Netherlands at the time I initially set up my iPad for this region or "kilometers". I am sure my wife set hers up for the United States or "miles". Could the iPad be stuck according to these initial settings? We currently live back in the US and all other settings are correct for this region.

how to change from kilometers to miles in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.