Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing mini DV with iMovie flickering

Hi,

I am copying all of my old DV home movies recorded on a Canon MV3 Mini DV camera.

So far I have successfully copied most of them over but have found that a couple of tapes will play perfectly well when I view/play them in the iMovie import screen but as soon as I hit the 'import' button the screen flickers and seems to lose frames. When I look at the captured event in iMovie, each 1 second of the movie imported shows as a separate movie.

I dont understand why it doesn't flicker until I hit the import button.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to whether i am doing anything wrong or if there is something I can change

Many thanks in advance

Dean

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 4:06 AM

3 replies

Dec 25, 2014 9:00 AM in response to MacBookDeano

If quality is important to you, here is the best way.

Use OS 10.6.x if you can. (Newer OSs will work also but you will have to control the ADVC300 manually.)

ADVC300 > iMovie 06 > iDVD 09/11

I have a drawer full of analog-to-digital converters. After using the Grass Valley ADVC300 I find nothing else acceptable.

The program that comes with the ADVC300 has some nice filters that can improve video and audio of the source material. The ADVC300 will take Audio and Video from any source (VCR, Tivo, Satellite Receiver) and convert it to FireWire (iMovie will treat it like a camera).

I've played around with countless other conversion systems, ranging in price from $79 to $399. Short verison, this is the ONLY unit to own. No dropped frames at all, even with questionable quality tapes, no jitter, great color, excellent sound quality. Zero setup with iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11.

I would use iMovie 06 with iDVD 09/11, why?

iMovies 09-13 and iMovie 10 uses 'single field processing' meaning every other horizontal line of the video is thrown out, which reduces the sharpness of the footage. iMovie 06 uses ALL of the image to form the video.

After lots of experimenting I get the best results using OS 10.6, iMovie 06, and iDVD 09/11. My movies look just like Hollywood!

Importing mini DV with iMovie flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.