Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating an Macbook pro HD so that I can transfer files to a new Macbook pro with SSD?

My old macbook pro went dead, so I opened it and removed the HD, also bought the cables to conned the HD to the new mac.

I can open the HD and see everything inside, but iPhoto, Mail etc... are not the latest version but I am unable to update it so that I can transfer the files to the new mac. I want to transfers files from old iphoto to newest iPhoto. All my Mail subfolders to the new Mail.

Help plssss

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 3:14 PM

4 replies

Dec 24, 2014 3:22 PM in response to leokingss

That can be done simply by using the Import options in each program. However, you can still transfer your Mail and iPhoto files to the new computer without first updating them. You really just need to copy your iPhoto Library file to the new computer; and, transfer the old Mail folder to the new computer. You also should transfer the preference files for each program.

iPhoto Library is found in the /Home/Pictures/ folder. The others are all found in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ or /Home/Library/Mail/ folder. Since this Library folder is invisible:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

Dec 24, 2014 3:26 PM in response to leokingss

Regarding iPhoto, you wouldn't need to update it on your old Mac. You can just move the library as described in the quote below from OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac - Apple Support

If your old iPhoto is version 08 or earlier, the "upgrade your library first" instructions can be used on your new Mac.

Place your iPhoto library into the Photos folder on your new Mac. iPhoto should automatically recognize it when you open it. If not, you may need to upgrade your library first.

Updating an Macbook pro HD so that I can transfer files to a new Macbook pro with SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.