Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic "quit unexpectedly"

So I was happily playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on my Macbook Pro running OS X Yosemite, and all of a sudden the game crashed. The first time this happened, I was transitioning between cut-scenes and the game crashed, bringing me back to my desktop. Then a window popped up and said that the game "quit unexpectedly" and asked if I would like to report to Apple. I said no and rebooted the game. I arrived at the same point again after loading my save game and it crashed at exactly the same spot. I am hoping that this does not mean that my copy of the game is defective, because it would be a shame not to finish it! I downloaded the game from the App Store a few months ago, and have had no crashing issues until today. Wondering if anyone might have any suggestions to fix this...I'm not really a computer wiz and do most of my gaming on consoles, so any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 24, 2014 8:13 PM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2015 12:27 PM in response to bibernull

So I discovered that the problem was related to a glitch in the game...it had nothing to do with the functionality of my Macbook Pro. The point in the story where the game crashed was right before the main character and Carth are about to board the Ebon Hawk...the cutscene should show them doing so, but was only showing one character, not both. The glitch was that I had Carth selected before the cutscene, and so when the cutscene started, my main character did not show up running with him to the ship. After the cutscene ended the game crashed. I fixed the problem by selecting my main character before moving on to the cutscene. She then showed up running with Carth to the ship...The game was "assuming" that since my main character did not board the ship, the story could not progress any further. Then there was no issue transitioning to the next section of the game. I didn't have any other problems and was able to progress to the end of the game, and my efforts were well worth it! I wish they would decide to make Star Wars KOTOR 3...!

May 2, 2016 6:49 PM in response to gca21

Exact same thing happened to me and your fix worked. The cutscene (this is about 2/3rds into game or 15-20 hours in) showed only Carth (selected) running accross the hangar and boarding the ebon hawk. Once the ship is boarded there is a space cut scene and a spaceship firefight. Once I complete the firefight (after destroying the last enemy) the game immediately crashes.

After reading your post I went back and selected my main character (not Carth) and the cut scene showed both Carth and main character running to the ship. The game no longer crashed after the fire fight.

Don't know how you figured this out gca21 but THANK YOU! I was 20 hours in and thought the game was broken and that I would never finish, wasting 20 hours on a broken game. Now I can finish!!!! Picking different characters to fix a bug, who woulda thought?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic "quit unexpectedly"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.