Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop new iPad backups from being encrypted?

It's Christmas and I have a new iPad Air 2. I plan to set it up as a new iPad using an existing AppleID and backup the iPad onto an existing Windows computer running the latest iTunes version.

Before I begin, I want to know how to ensure the backup doesn't become encrypted with a password I no longer know?

This is the third iPad owned over some time now, and the reason I ask this question is because some how the second iPad's backup became encrypted with a unknown password that was set on the first iPad. Unfortuatetly I thought I had solved this problem, but the tick in iTunes did eventually reappear. Refer previous discussion...

Where else is the "Encrypt iPad backup" setting stored?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

Regards, AjN3806

iPad 2, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 1:30 AM

1 reply

Dec 25, 2014 6:34 PM in response to ajn3806

This is a bug with the iTunes for Windows software. This was a snapshot of the iPad backup screen almost a year ago, and you will see no tick next to encrypt backup...

User uploaded file

And now today there is a greyed out tick against encrypt local backup...

User uploaded file

What is strange is you can't even click the tick to try and remove it. You can only click [Change Password...].

APPLE PLEASE HELP!

How to stop new iPad backups from being encrypted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.