Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 3:49 AM

18 replies

Dec 25, 2014 6:35 AM in response to afrikanos

May be Genieo Adware is installed. Removing it will help.

If you have another browser installed, use it.

If not, launch App store and get another browser for temporary use.

Remove it afterwards.

Use free AdwareMedic by clicking “Download ” from here

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic by clicking AdwareMedic in the menu bar and selecting

“Quit AdwareMedic”.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn those off and relaunch Safari to test .

Turn those on one by one and test.

Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

Nov 21, 2015 3:31 PM in response to dominic23

Any suggestions for a Mac OS X 10.11.1? My iMovie '11, version 9.0, is now crashing when I try to download movies from my camera. I see a EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION 9SIGILL) as the execution type in the error report. But I also get EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) when I try to add a title to my movie project using the Title Browser. It crashes at this point also. And lastly, my more recent photos used in my movie projects don't show up when dragged into a project. I'm getting a message that it's missing.

I don't know why this would star happening. I did look for hidden adware, etc. but found no such files. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 21, 2015 5:11 PM in response to my ginger

Wow. I wasn't expecting a suggestion so soon.

Before I make my deletion(s) I'd like you to confirm I'm taking out the proper file(s).

Under Home\Library\Preferences I see two possibilities:

com.apple.iMovieApp.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

Should I remove either one or both of these files?

My only other possibility would be in Home\Library\iMovie where there are only two folders:

Plug Ins

Sound Effects

and neither of these suggest any relationship to preferences.

Thanks so much for your help.

Nov 21, 2015 5:56 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks again for your reply. However, nothing has changed -- the Title Browser still causes it to crash and any photo added to a movie project (especially after 12/18/2014 it appears) does not show up in the viewer window. It's strange that this picture problem does not appear in all of my over 300 short movies.

Do you know of anything else I might try?

Nov 21, 2015 7:12 PM in response to joyfromburr ridge

Hi. did you update Imovie when you went to El Capitan. you could try software update to see if you can get it updated that way. Otherwise go to apple-support downloads and type in Imovie and download it. Installing it will not delete anything you have in there. There might be a glitch in the one you have. Here is a linkhttps://support.apple.com/kb/DL1574?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Nov 22, 2015 2:01 PM in response to joyfromburr ridge

Hi I'm running Snow Leopard and my Imovie is 9.0.4. If you open Imovie and then go to the top menu, click on about Imovie it will give you the exact version installed. I am reading that in os 10 maverick or above all Imovie updates come from the apple apps store. That may be why the download from support don't work. You could try going there to see. After you open the apps store, go to the top and click on updates to see what is there. Your Imovie movies are in your home folder under movies.

Nov 22, 2015 3:49 PM in response to joyfromburr ridge

Hi. From other posts I've read El Capitan doesn't particularly like Imovie 9. Imovie 10 is suppose to work with El Capitan. Don't know what problems you had with 10. Did the apple store completely delete Imovies 10 or just reinstall 9? If the is a package installer for 10 store in your system that could be why you can't reinstall 9. Whenever you install an app or program your os saves the package receipt.

Nov 22, 2015 5:10 PM in response to my ginger

The biggest problem I had with iMovie 10 was that my movie clips, sound effects and music were all disconnected from each other when I opened iMovie 10. My 300+ short movies were in one big jumble. I really don't want to experiment with that again, especially since the techs at Apple couldn't get it to work.

iMovies 10 is not in my Applications folder but it is in my Trash. I think at first, however, it was left in my Applications folder but it didn't interfere with the operation of iMovie 9.0. As I said, now it is in my Trash folder.

Is there somewhere else that I should look for the "package installer for 10"?

Nov 22, 2015 5:38 PM in response to joyfromburr ridge

Hi the installed for 10 is only through the apps store. I did not know that 10 was still in the trash. You might want to empty the trash. It can be re downloaded for the app store anytime. Since Imovie 10 was still in the trash that might be why you could not reinstall. If a newer version is detected it will not install. I don't know how the apple store did it.

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.