Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bringing my imac G5 on tracks

Hello,

So, for Christmas, I found my old yet beloved iMac G5 isight, that I did not use for a couple of years, and turned it on. I want to use it as a jukebox for music on a NAS. I heard the ticking noise from the hard drive that told me the HDD is dead. It did not boot up, and stayed on the ? blinking logo. The superdrive does not work so here is my question: how to bring it back to life ?

I have a mac mini (intel), couple of external HDD on firewire and a universal 10.5 copy (and 10.4 if needed). I also have an external DVD player (samsung) if needed (apparently, the iMac did not accept this as a solution to boot up). I am ready to open the iMac and change the HDD. Though, how to install the OS on the other HDD ? Could I use my mini (intel) to do that ?

A side question: is it worth doing an upgrade to a SSD rather than a HDD ? Also, which brand / model to order ?

I hope there is a Santa Claus out there that will help me !

Thanks a lot

Damien

Soon the iMac iSight !, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 10:23 AM

5 replies

Dec 25, 2014 4:47 PM in response to Frenchy Damien

The external dvd reader needs to be bootable. You could disassemble the external and place in g5, if cables are correct.

I believe the bus speed for g5 is 1.5. Find hd that you can jumper to 3.0. From there g5, will auto select down to 1.5.

cd sharing across ethernet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

Place dvd in mac mini, then bring mini up in target disk mode.

You could try target disk mode if you have another mac around.
http://www.dan-taylor.com/reinstalling-mac-os-x-without-a-dvd-drive-target-disk- mode/

Dec 26, 2014 8:30 AM in response to rccharles

So here is the fix I got, finally.

I had the os X image installed on a firewire HDD, thanks to disk utility, then restore function. This is a usable copy of the installation program by my iMac.

I found another firewire HDD I had in spare, and plugged it to the iMac.

I started with alt pressed, and was given the possibility to boot from the first HDD. I selected the second FX HDD as the disk of installation of Tiger. Voilà !

I hope the speed will not be too disastrous..

BTW, found this from one of the comments of the link you provided.. Thanks for the help !

Cheers

Damien

Bringing my imac G5 on tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.