Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't find track names for a CD.

I have a MacBook Pro and I have upgraded to Yosemite and iTunes 12.0.1 recently, but my iTunes can't get any track names from Gracenote. I've read some posts on these forums that talk about deleting some .plist files from iTunes, but I cannot find these files at all. I keep getting error messages when I try to manually get track names that vary from "user not authorized" to "no error", to even a weird message about Gracenote, so I have no clue what the real issue is. I've tried reinstalling iTunes and restarting my computer, but nothing like that helps. I did create a separate administrator user account on my MacBook, and the iTunes could read a cd and get the track names, but I lost my entire library that way, and to be honest rebuilding my music library is a lot more time consuming that entering track names manually.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), iTunes (12.0.1.26)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 12:12 PM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2016 8:30 AM in response to rofomofo

I have a mackbook pro recently upgraded to El Capitan from Snow Leopard. The new iTunes gives me a "no error" error message when I attempt to obtain the track names on my downloaded music cd. After I download the music, I attempted to get the track names, and receive another error message "user not authorized." I have read countless posts about this issue on both Windows machines and on Macs with the Yosemite OS and no one seems to know how to fix this on mac machines... Has Apple come up with a fix yet? Why have they not responded to this problem...

Feb 12, 2016 8:51 AM in response to jackcheasty

Hi,

jackcheasty wrote:

I have a mackbook pro recently upgraded to El Capitan from Snow Leopard. The new iTunes gives me a "no error" error message when I attempt to obtain the track names on my downloaded music cd. After I download the music, I attempted to get the track names, and receive another error message "user not authorized."

Hi,

What do you mean "downloaded music CD"? You don't download CDs!!

iTunes only retrieves metadata for commercially produced CDs that are imported by iTunes. What is the source of your digital download? Metadata is usually contained in the file.

Jim

Feb 12, 2016 8:05 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Jim,

I put a commercially purchased CD in to copy it to my music files and it shows the tracks by number but not name. I try to get track names but get an error message and there is no tracks identified by song title. My snow leopard/ old iTunes combination gave me the titles of every song I ripped into iTunes. with a commercially available CD The new program that came w/ ElCapitan does not work well in this regard.

Jack Cheasty.

iTunes can't find track names for a CD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.