Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there's no 'edit' option for my primary ID

I need to change my apple ID and there is no 'edit' option. Any ideas?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 12:42 PM

9 replies

Dec 27, 2014 6:16 AM in response to cestrianimp

Howdy cestrianimp,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see you have come from our best resource for instructions on changing your Apple ID email address. The edit button is going to be on the right side of your Apple ID, once you have logged in to your account on the manage Apple ID.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

Dec 27, 2014 8:28 AM in response to cestrianimp

Hi cestrianimp,

What kind of Apple ID are you attempting to edit? If it is a @mac or @me Apple ID, those cannot be edited.

Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no longer use the .mac or .me email address be sure to add your valid email address as an additional email address.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Dec 27, 2014 8:52 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks. Indeed it is a mac.com account I was hoping to rename.

Is there a way of getting the Apple Store to use one of my backup email addresses, e.g. iCloud.com instead of the mac.com? Otherwise this means I have to delete my old account and start a new one. I wish to delete the mac.com account as it is receiving simply too much spam.

Thanks for your guidance.

Dec 27, 2014 9:16 AM in response to cestrianimp

Hi,

If you want to change the email you receive shipping notifications on, you can change this by following the information below. If you have further questions about Apple ID's, please take a look at the FAQ on Apple ID's to learn more.

Notification email address

A notification address is automatically added to your account in certain circumstances:

• If you have a rescue address and turn on two-step verification, that address automatically becomes your notification address. With two-step verification, you don't need a rescue address.
  • If you provide an email address with your shipping information when you purchase from the Apple Online Store, that address automatically becomes your notification address.

Your primary address receives a copy of all Apple ID email that Apple sends to your notification address.

1. Go to My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com).
  2. Select “Manage your Apple ID” and sign in.
  3. Edit a notification address:
    • Select Edit next to the address, then enter the new address. Apple will send a verification email to that address. Didn't receive the email?
    • Follow the instructions in the email to verify the address.
  4. Delete a notification address: Select Delete next to the address.

Apple email related to your Apple ID account always comes from appleid@id.apple.com. If you receive suspicious email, learn about identifying fraudulent email.

Manage your Apple ID primary, rescue, alternate, and notification email addresses - Apple Support

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Dec 27, 2014 9:37 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks again and I do appreciate your assistance but it's more complicated than I can easily get guidance from on the online help. For example., it seems that I cannot change my iTunes account since it's inextricably linked to the Apple ID I have no time for any more, etc. This actually bothers me more than the online purchasing of new devices. This really ought to be easier but perhaps I'm just getting too grey...

there's no 'edit' option for my primary ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.