Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing updated AMD driver in Bootcamp/Windows

I am running Windows 8.1 on my nMP (6-Core/D700), and all was fine until I installed "Dragon Age Inquisitions". The game requires updated drivers, but the drivers recently provided by AMD (ver. 14.11.2) are not compatible with Bootcamp.

The game will NOT run on the current drivers provided by Apple, and the drivers obviously need to be updated. The correct AMD drivers will not install on Windows in Bootcamp.

Apple, please get the AMD drivers for Bootcamp updated...

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), D700

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 5:21 PM

15 replies

Dec 26, 2014 8:20 AM in response to Loner T

I am not trying to leave feedback. I am trying to get help on a problem.

The drivers provided by Apple are outdated and need to be updated! Now there is software out there that requires newer drivers, and Apple has an obligation to provide this...

Please someone who can actually help, come up with suggestions, and not just "leave feedback"...

Dec 26, 2014 10:25 AM in response to bomelkr

bomelkr wrote:

The drivers provided by Apple are outdated and need to be updated! Now there is software out there that requires newer drivers, and Apple has an obligation to provide this...

Apple has not provided updates to drivers since the days of Bootcamp 3.1. Apple provides BC drivers as part of Bootcamp initially when new hardware comes out. There are many who would like non-Apple drivers to work on Mac hardware, but in some cases they do not. If AMD does provide update for Mac-specific hardware, you can try these. nVidia seems much better than AMD. Your assumption that Apple is obligated is not true.

Please see this AMD-specific example - Retina 5K - AMD Boot Camp Driver failure.

The nVidia example is Re: Huge lag in games on bootcamp.

Dec 27, 2014 7:42 AM in response to Loner T

Spoken like a true Apple devotee...

Of course Apple has a responsibility. They provide us the hardware and the software (including drivers) to run Windows in Bootcamp. We pay dearly for that, and of course that responsibility does not end with the sale. And, in some cases they prevent us from running normal drivers on the hardware by using obscure HW IDs.

I agree that the hardware suppliers have a duty to provide standardised drivers for their hardware, but when Apple (in their infinite wisdom) than go and change the hardware, that duty falls on them! Anyone with a touch of sense can see that...

Apple, get this fixed...

Dec 27, 2014 9:53 PM in response to bomelkr

bomelkr wrote:

Spoken like a true Apple devotee...

Is this a new tactic of asking for help, by name calling?

Of course Apple has a responsibility. They provide us the hardware and the software (including drivers) to run Windows in Bootcamp. We pay dearly for that, and of course that responsibility does not end with the sale. And, in some cases they prevent us from running normal drivers on the hardware by using obscure HW IDs.

If you want to run windows on a Mac, you need to accept the limitations of this specific aspect. You made an ill-informed decision without researching what you wanted, and are now asking Apple to fix something, that they did not break. I am certain you have posted on the AMD user forums asking for an updated Mac driver which they have agreed to write and deliver, correct?

Have you asked the software vendors to port their applications to OSX also?

I agree that the hardware suppliers have a duty to provide standardised drivers for their hardware, but when Apple (in their infinite wisdom) than go and change the hardware, that duty falls on them! Anyone with a touch of sense can see that...

Apple did for the iMac 5K by writing their own TMCON. nVidia WHQL drivers seem to work well on Macs, why is AMD not working, can you please ask AMD to explain?

Apple, get this fixed...

This is why I had suggested Product Feedback. 😉

I suggest you buy a Dell/HP/Lenovo/Sony/... and run WHQL-certified drivers which will support AMD drivers also. Macs are not an astute choice for what you want.

Dec 28, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Loner T

Believe it or not, Loner, "Apple Devotee" was actually not meant as a derogatory:) I count myself as one...

What I mean is; if Apple had left the HW in the nMP and not made any changes to it, we could have used standard Windows drivers... That worked fine in the oMP. However, they didn't. They went ahead and changed it just enough that AMD-provided drivers would not work. Hence Apple took upon themselves the responsibility to keep these drivers updated. No matter how you turn that, it still comes back to Apple being stuck with the monkey...

I tried the AMD drivers, but they will not work on the Apple HW.

As for making a ill-informed decision, I am 90% an OSX user, but sometimes need an outlet. That outlet is games, and since games are rarely ported to OSX, I am stuck with Windows in Bootcamp. Luckily eough for me, Apple advertises that this is 100% possible. Bootcamp is even mentioned as one of the reasons to use Apple products, the Mac Pro in particular.

Dec 28, 2014 9:35 AM in response to bomelkr

I looked at

http://help.ea.com/en/article/amd-mantle-api-not-available-for-dragon-age-inquis ition/

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINRelease Notes.aspx

It has the following requirement

Please make sure to uninstall all previous versions of AMD Catalyst drivers before installing the AMD Catalyst​ 14.11.2 Beta.

What are the errors you get when trying to install these Beta drivers?

Dec 28, 2014 2:42 PM in response to Loner T

I found that as well, and in the release notes for the beta drivers it states that:

This driver is not intended for use on AMD products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their manufacturer for driver support.

That was for the 14.2 (Catalyst Omega)...

Now AMD has actually updated their Mac drivers... To ver. 14.301, and I will try to see if they solve the problem. I am not very hopeful, since that is a seriously old revision.

Dec 28, 2014 3:17 PM in response to bomelkr

"Now AMD has actually updated their Mac drivers... To ver. 14.301, and I will try to see if they solve the problem. I am not very hopeful, since that is a seriously old revision."

I have been addressing a similar problem trying to run FIFA 15. At first I received error message stating I needed to update driver from 12.8 to 14.00. After many uninstalls and reinstalls of various version of AMD drivers I went for broke with the 14.301 version (i-Mac mid-20ll with yosemite and AMD 6770 video card running bootcamp).

FIFA begins it's start-up process and did not deliver message to update driver -- however it only went as far as the opening screen of Lionel Messi and froze (very unlike Messi indeed but messy just the same).

I attempted a Radeon Pro fix of forcing Vsync and enabling Tripple buffering with association to FIFA and Radeon card profile associated with Origin loading -- a shot in the dark with no positive (or negative) result.

Just uninstalled FIFA 15 and reinstalled and same result so need to give up on this and wait out a fix from Radeon/Apple. Will check back after a short vacation where there are no games except the ones in my head space : )

Keep working at it -- need to resolve!

Mar 10, 2015 7:11 PM in response to bomelkr

I am totally in agreement with the frustration of the original poster.

If you look here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

You will see that AMD is keeping the drivers for older Macs updated. So I would have had no reason to believe that all of the sudden this support would end, and for new hardware no less! That's right, the graphics drivers for older machines are being kept more diligently up-to-date than the newest MacPro. I have submitted feedback multiple times to Apple, both with the submission form and to customer support chat. I have submitted feedback to the AMD webpage survey. Cannot figure out how to get AMDs customer support feedback page to submit. But all their webpage says is to go talk to Apple.

If Apple is going to advertise their hardware as having the option to install Windows through bootcamp, the respectable thing to do for those customers is to at least keep the video drivers up-to-date. Considering that the driver code base is readily being maintained by AMD, bringing it over to my D700 is a trivial thing for Apple to do. So it is a slap in the face to the consumer to not accommodate maintenance of the video driver for Windows installations.

Mar 15, 2015 9:03 AM in response to bomelkr

Further still, as a comparison, back in the days when I would get a PC with say a Creative Labs audio card. Even though the card was an OEM, I was still able to get up-to-date drivers for the hardware for many years afterward, from the manufacturer. I don't know what is going on between Apple and AMD over this issue, but I strongly believe it is a black eye for all parties all around to not provide driver support. I believe it is an industry standard courtesy and service, esp for video cards. While I used to say that the best Windows machines are bootcamped Macs, and for years have been purchasing Macs with this in mind, that has recently come to a swift halt over this issue. Even if Apple produces very nice hardware I cannot conscientiously buy their product if they are clearly going to brick the equipment, accelerating the obsolescence, over driver support.

Jul 16, 2015 10:52 AM in response to bomelkr

Totally agree with that problem exposed.

Tis MacPro is just a piece of crap. You want the truth about the drivers? The cooling of the machine is atrocious and the graphic cards inside are just downsized and cannot work at full rates. Nobody asking why they do not launch a new MacPro? It is impossible, the design does not allow to cool much power.

I have had an older MacPro, 2 MacBook Air, 3 MacBook Pro, all the iPhones since the 3G and other stuffs such as Apple TV or iPods : I will buy a PC this winter... It's incredible to come to this point!!!

Aug 2, 2015 9:32 PM in response to Wintermancer

While I used to say that the best Windows machines are bootcamped Macs, and for years have been purchasing Macs with this in mind, that has recently come to a swift halt over this issue

Amen! and.. yeah.. I'd rather have a Apple MBP Windows than a surface for now.. but you know, I'm leaning towards getting back to windows machines now when the bridge between the worlds is collapsing.

Missing updated AMD driver in Bootcamp/Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.