Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apps, photos etc on my iPad are only partially backing up on iCloud. Anybody know why? It's only backing up 1.7GB even though I have 13GB of stuff on it.

My apps and everything on my iPad are only partially backing up to iCloud. It's only backing up 1.7 GB but I have 13GB of stuff on my iPad. I have 200GB of iCloud storage so I don't know what the issue is.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 5:24 PM

2 replies

Dec 25, 2014 5:29 PM in response to SmilemakerRDH

Apps are not part of the backup. In app data is, but backing up the apps would be redundant as they can be re-downloaded from the store for free. Media (music, movies, podcasts, etc.) are also not part of the backup for the same reason.

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

What iCloud backs up

You have important information on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iCloud automatically backs up your device over Wi-Fi every day while it’s turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. With your device information backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and booksYour iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article What can I buy from the iTunes Store in my country?.
  • Photos and videos on your iOS devices
  • Device settings
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device.

It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library beta, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.

My apps, photos etc on my iPad are only partially backing up on iCloud. Anybody know why? It's only backing up 1.7GB even though I have 13GB of stuff on it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.