Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in FaceTime HD camera heavy lag

Hello, I just got today the Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 256G SSDD memory with 8G ram and encountered a slight problem. The built in "FaceTime HD camera" drops heavy frames when using chatting websites such as omegle, chat roulette etc.. but works fine with Skype and Photo Booth. My computers Flash player is up to date and so is the software ( OS X Yosemite 10.10.1). Also oddly enough after using websites such as omegle, the webcam in Photo Booth receives a similar lag and i need to restart the computer to solve it. Any help would be appreciated, kinda odd that my 2009 macbook never had an issue.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 9:00 PM

10 replies

Dec 26, 2014 8:47 AM in response to NDL-23

After all the good things you have already considered, if neither restarting Mac nor reinstalling OS X corrects your problem, contact your retailer for help.

If they cannot show you how to get things working correctly on your new MBPr, they may need to exchange it for one that works properly.

Backup your important files before having your Mac professionally examined.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.1

Dec 29, 2014 5:22 PM in response to EZ Jim

I am having the same exact issue once I use Omegle my FaceTime and Photo Booth lag. Then I have to reset the PRAM and SMC every time. I really don't want to get another Macbook I have the Macbook Air 13" which I purchased September 2014 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. Flash is updated and have contacted Apple today and yesterday and they seem as if they are not fully understanding why this issue happens which I cannot troubleshoot myself either other than doing the resets. Is there possibly a problem with these sites when using a Macbook?

Dec 30, 2014 7:40 AM in response to deon95

deon95 wrote:... Is there possibly a problem with these sites when using a Macbook?

I think not "...when using a MacBook?", but rather when using a specific browser. Apple does a (IMO) good job of keeping Safari up to date for all the latest security and browser coding improvements. However, Apple is sometimes ahead of websites in these updates. In these cases, you may encounter sites that will not work with the latest Safari update.

My favorite alternate browser is Firefox, but you can use any other browser you trust. I do not like using alternate browsers (even my Firefox favorite alternate) because I trust Safari to keep my Mac Apple-compatible and safe from less than secure sites. However, occasionally I MUST access a site that does not work with Safari until it is updated by its webmaster. In that case, I use an alternate browser on a one-time basis, only using the alternate again if Safari cannot work with the site when I next try it.

If you normally use Safari, and if you have not tried a different browser with your problem sites, check to see if the site works on your Mac with an alternate browser before looking for Mac hardware problems.

Mac OSX 10.10.1

Jan 3, 2015 7:41 AM in response to NDL-23

NDL-23 wrote: ... my webcam will lag sufficiently less if its on with daylight in the room ....

Bright light is always best for video. Mac cameras slow down in dim light to improve image quality (at the expense of frame rate.)

Also, be sure you do not have other extra-load factors such as multiple apps running, less than 20 percent of hard disk space free (available), backup (Time Machine, etc.) working, etc. that may be slowing your Mac down.

Mac OSX 10.10.1

Built in FaceTime HD camera heavy lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.