Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 Front Camera - Black Screen Issue. What is Apple's response to this issue.

Good day.

Iphone 5 Front Camera - Black Screen Issue. What is Apple's response to this issue.I have seen quite a few reports on this, but have not seen a solution.

Any advice please? Feel really sad that the quality has dropped to this extent. 😟

Happened to me 2 weeks back after a software update.

Took a picture, but the next picture (immediately after) the camera app crashed with the black screen issue.

I certainly enjoy using the Iphone, and it does cost a lot, but this questions the next purchase of an Apple phone.

😟 😟 😟

Is there anything official from Apple on this?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 4:30 AM

7 replies

Dec 26, 2014 6:36 AM in response to skay16

To rule out a software issue, set it up as new device, explained here:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

or, if you want to use iTunes on your computer:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If still no luck, get it checked by visiting an Authorized Apple Service Provider or contact Apple Support to get it serviced:

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Dec 26, 2014 7:16 AM in response to skay16

skay16 wrote:

Good day.

Iphone 5 Front Camera - Black Screen Issue. What is Apple's response to this issue.I have seen quite a few reports on this, but have not seen a solution.

Any advice please? Feel really sad that the quality has dropped to this extent. 😟

Happened to me 2 weeks back after a software update.

Took a picture, but the next picture (immediately after) the camera app crashed with the black screen issue.

I certainly enjoy using the Iphone, and it does cost a lot, but this questions the next purchase of an Apple phone.

😟 😟 😟

Is there anything official from Apple on this?

No one here can't speak for Apple as we don't work for Apple. We are only only here as volunteer users. If you are looking for an official statement from Apple then you need to do as already mentioned; either take the phone into an Apple store, an Authorized Apple Service Provider, or contact Apple Support and they'll advise you further.

Dec 28, 2014 12:20 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks for the reply all.

I took the phone to an authorised service retailer.

The 2 options are:

1) Either software related :

They can do a reformat for me for a charge (converted to around ~$15 USD)

I did this on my own via Itunes, but it did not fix the camera issue. 😟

or

2) Hardware related:

There is an option for replacement (refurbished unit), It will cost (converted to ~$400 USD)

Option 1 did not work, and Option 2 is simply ridiculous.

Am just very disappointed with Apple for having such a defect that occurred to so many users, and without a viable solution for.

Phone is only also < 1.5 years, and in good condition otherwise.

Thanks again for reply

Dec 28, 2014 1:06 AM in response to skay16

Apple will replace the whole unit for less than the price you have been told:

Out-of-warranty repair service
If your repair isn’t covered by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or AppleCare Protection Plan, your iPhone might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. For example, liquid damage isn’t covered by warranty but might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. Some damage isn’t eligible at all, for example if your device has been broken into multiple pieces. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for complete details.
Read Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions

Model Out-of-warranty service fee Battery service*
iPhone 6 Plus $329

$79
*available only if battery
fails Apple’s diagnostic test

iPhone 6 $299
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 $269
iPhone 4s $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G,
Original iPhone
$149

Plus a $6.95 shipping fee, if required. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax. Pricing is for service through Apple. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above. Pricing and terms vary for service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone

Jan 28, 2015 2:36 AM in response to skay16

After the latest iOS update, camera went dead, black screen on both rear and front cameras when using Apple Camera occasionally can capture video but photo is dead. Not a hardware issue I suppose, since it works just fine with Google's SnapSeed App. Does anyone else experienced this? Anyone knows how to fix it? How do you complain about it to Apple?

Apple Camera app with black screen:

User uploaded file

Google SnapSeed app working fine:

User uploaded file

Iphone 5 Front Camera - Black Screen Issue. What is Apple's response to this issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.