Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo backup size not the same as on Mac

I'm trying to remove files from my mac, and have been particularly frustrated by photos. I have 3752 photos, which have been backed up (just copied) onto a WD 'My passport for mac' as 13.11GB, which seems about the right size.

However, when I look at the 'photo' share on my Mac internal HD, they take up 33.15GB. I can't find 20GB of photos, and I could really do with the space! I have emptied my iPhoto trash but cannot seem to find any reason for the space. I know copies are made if you edit photos (which I rarely do other than rotation) but is there any way to delete these? Or should I just delete my entire iPhoto library and start over with the photos I want?

Any help really welcome! Not sure if this image helps, but its what I'm working from. I can answer any other questions if needed. Thank you in advance!User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 5:13 AM

11 replies

Dec 26, 2014 5:50 AM in response to tauntonka7

That particular "feature" is a useless measure of anything. It simply accounts for all image files on your Mac - your photos, yes, but also screenshots in help files, icons, interface elements and so on.

Try using this:

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net

it will not only tell you what's using your space but where it is. It's free.

One rule of thumb: never delete anything from your Mac whose purpose you don't understand.

Dec 26, 2014 8:21 AM in response to tauntonka7

30.93 GB, which seems huge for the number of photos on there

It is about 8MB per photo - not that much, if your photos are high quality JPEGs. iPhoto is keeping the original photo, a preview of any edited version, a thumbnail of the photo for quicker browsing.

Your iPhoto library may also contain an iPod photo Cache, if you are syncing with iTunes: See this link: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Dec 26, 2014 8:33 AM in response to tauntonka7

would there be a reason then that backups would only be take up 13 GB?
I have 3752 photos, which have been backed up (just copied) onto a WD 'My passport for mac' as 13.11GB, which seems about the right size.

What did you copy to your backup drive? The original image files, before you imported them to iPhoto? Are you sure all photos have been backed up this way?

Dec 26, 2014 8:40 AM in response to tauntonka7

Several things

1 - the display you are showing for your Mac is worthless for your purpose - it counts all images - not just photos

2 - what you are doing will not work - if you make a backup delete images from your Mac you no longer have a backup - a backup is a second exact copy of your main data and as soon as you delete an image from the Mac it only exists in one place - to do wha ti what you need two drives - one to archive photos to and a second to backup to - and you have to be sure your backing up is backing up the archive drive - by default it will not is you use TimeMachine

3 - how are you making the "backup" copy - the only way to have a backup is to have an exact copy of your iphoto library on a separate drive - generally you use software like TimeMachine to do this so it is always updated

LN

Dec 26, 2014 8:52 AM in response to LarryHN

I have 2 external hard drives - one is only for time machine (I've tried splitting hard drives in the past, so half for time machine and half for other data, but this has always ended in corruption), the other hard drive is only for photos and music, as I have a large amount and want to have *all* data backed up with time machine, *all* photos and music on one external hard drive, and then a small quantity of photos/music still on my macbook for easier access.

All is backed up, multiple times in some cases. I just have no intention of losing my photos, so just a bit concerned about where 20GB of data is!

Dec 26, 2014 9:05 AM in response to tauntonka7

A suggested work flow would be to drag your iphoto library from your Mac to the external drive (verify that it is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) ) - test it to be sure it is good and complete

Then delete photos from your internal drive keeping only the ones you want there (only use iphoto to do this and empty the Photo trash every 100 or so delete)

Purchase iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - and as you add photos to your internal drive use it to add them to the library on the external drive keeping it current and continuing to leave only the smaller set you want on your main drive

verify that TimeMachine is backing up your external drive

LN

Photo backup size not the same as on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.