Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Family Share with Two Apple IDs

Apple has long prevented customers from merging two Apple IDs associated with the same person. With Family Share I thought I might be able to finally share all of my purchases between my two Apple IDs. But I'm not sure how to go about it. One Apple ID is associated with an @mac.com e-mail address. The other @me.com. But when I go to add the former Apple ID account, I get a message that I can't add my own account as a family member. So I'm a little stuck.

Shouldn't I be able to add my other Apple ID as a "family member", so that I can access all the purchases made through it?

Has anyone done this, is there a trick to making it work? Can I re-assign my other Apple ID to a "different user" account to bypass this problem?

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 11:52 AM

2 replies

Dec 28, 2014 9:16 AM in response to Woodwyn

Hi Woodwyn,

Happy Holidays! As I understand it - there are two possible scenarios you can try if you have iTunes Store content on multiple Apple IDs. Review the information below and try the path the best suits your situation.

Scenario 1 - Change your Apple ID to a different address

You could rename the Apple ID that you are not currently using as your primary Apple ID for the iTunes store to a different email address, like a Gmail or Yahoo account. This article explains how to do that:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Change your Apple ID

Learn how to change the email address that you use as your Apple ID.

In most cases, your Apple ID is also the primary email address of your Apple ID account. You can change your Apple ID to any other email address you control, as long as it's not already in use as an Apple ID. If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, it's already an Apple ID.

Use these steps to reset your Apple ID:

1. Sign out of iCloud, the iTunes Store, App Store, FaceTime, Find My Friends, Find My iPhone, and iMessage on each device that uses your current Apple ID for these services.
  2. Go to My Apple ID.
  3. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in. Forgot your password?
  4. Select Edit next to Apple ID and Primary Email Address.
  5. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID, then select Save Changes. Apple will send a verification email to that address.
  6. Open the email from Apple, then click Verify Now. Didn't receive the email?
  7. When the My Apple ID page opens, sign in with your new Apple ID email address and password. When you see a message that verification is complete, you can start using your updated Apple ID.
  8. Update the features and services that you use with Apple ID, so that each one is using your updated Apple ID.

If you need to change the Apple ID that's signed in to your iOS device, use these steps to sign out, then back in with a different Apple ID.

Scenario #2 - Get all of the content from multiple Apple ID's onto one iOS device

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?

No. You can't merge two or more Apple IDs into a single one. You can, however, use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). See “Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases” for details.

Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs cannot be renamed.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, copy all of your purchased content so that it's on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with.

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. After your computer is authorized for all of your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

How do I restore an iOS device from an iCloud Backup if I use different Apple IDs for iCloud and store purchases?

When you're first prompted for your Apple ID during the restore process, enter the Apple ID you use for iCloud. After your device restarts, you will be presented with another Apple ID prompt before items from the App Store and iBooks Store begin restoring. This time, sign in with the Apple ID you use for Store purchases.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Dec 28, 2014 5:24 PM in response to judysings

Thanks judysings, this was helpful.

Here's what I did:

Using Family Share, you can share all of your Apple IDs with your primary account.

In order to do this you'll need to change the e-mail addresses for all of your old Apple IDs you are no longer using in iTunes.

Then, set up a user profile on your Mac for each of them. T

hen invite all of them (up to 6) from your host Apple ID, and accept the invite for each user profile in its own iCloud settings on the Mac.

Now all of the content for all of your Apple IDs will be available under the one Apple ID you are currently using on all of your devices.

Took me a while to figure this out but it works like a charm.

Setup Family Share with Two Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.