Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I being forced to change my Apple ID Password

I am no longer able to access my Apple ID account settings as every time I log in I am prompted to change my password. My password absolutely meets all the minimum requirements and yet I cannot get past the login for being forced into changing the password. Is this defective behavior on the Apple site or is Apple really forcing me to change my password?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 2:59 PM

4 replies

Dec 28, 2014 11:47 AM in response to mad4dogz

Hi mad4dogz,

Welcome to the Support Communities! So that I can understand your question, where are you trying to log in when the password request happens? Are you at iCloud.com, or using email, or iTunes, FaceTime or iMessage? Are you getting an error message that states to change the password, or is it that when you enter your password, you can't get past the log in screen? Are you working with a Mac, an iPhone or iPad, or a PC?

The first thing I would suggest is to go to the Apple ID website, sign in with your password, and confirm that the one you are currently using is correct. If you change the password here, you will need to change it in each of the settings I mentioned above.

Apple ID: Changing your password - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201355

1. Go to My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com).
  2. Click “Manage your Apple ID” and sign in.
  3. If you have two-step verification turned on, you'll be asked to send a verification code to the trusted device associated with your Apple ID. If you're unable to receive messages at your trusted device, follow the guidelines for what to do if you can't sign in with two-step verification.
  4. Click "Password and Security".
  5. In the "Choose a new password" section, click Change Password.
  6. Enter your old password, then enter a new password and confirm the new password. Click Save when done.

The next time you use an Apple feature or service that uses Apple ID, you'll be asked to sign in with your new Apple ID password.

If you are using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad or iPod touch) - I would first restart the device. If you still get the prompt, then you may need to reset the device.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

If the issue still persists, then re-entering the password information for each of the services above would be the next thing to try. You can do this from the Settings app on the iOS devices; System Preferences on your Mac; or iCloud Control Panel on a PC.

Sorry this information is somewhat vague, but without knowing the details above, it will hopefully give you some ideas for troubleshooting the issue.

If you need additional help with your Apple ID, contact our support team:

Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5699

Cheers,

Judy

May 2, 2016 7:06 AM in response to Philippine Swing

Having the same problem. I have had the same Apple Id for years and very happy with it. It not complicated and I don't have numbers and letters and have to stand on one leg to use it. But I am very happy with it and don't want to change it.

Why wont apple listen to its customers and back off and let us decide what password we want to use? I have looked at loads of threads on this and no one from Apple seems to be responding or interested in what the customer wants.

Why am I being forced to change my Apple ID Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.