Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two different issues - Most likely connected

First Issue:

When my MacBook Pro is shut down, I start it up and the Apple symbol appears with a status bar line that slowly fills up. It then prompts me to the start-up window where I enter my password and am admitted into my computer. In the next minute a text box appears in the middle of the screen displaying the following message:

“/Library/StartupItems/HP USB EWS Gateway” has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Every time I click the question mark, which opens up the internal Mac search it says that is has found no results. So I am forced to click OK because it hovers in front of every window I open.

Second Issue:

When my MacBook Pro is in sleep mode, lid closed, remained logged in, and I open it and 'wake it up' - the screen goes from black to a semi-opaque white where I can see my desktop photograph (barely). A status bar appears at the bottom made of about ten ovals which slowly, from left to right, become white. When they are all white (status bar complete) the screen becomes normal coloured and I can see my desktop photograph. The mouse remains frozen after a minute or two the mouse moves but I cannot click on anything and my dock will not pop up when the mouse runs over where it will bring it out of 'hiding'. After another couple of minutes of moving the mouse around and randomly tapping space or enter (which probably doesn't do anything) I can finally access things normally.

So:

I've tried looking this up and the only real straight forward answer I could find was to go into Desktop Utility, First Aid - I have Verified the disk, Verified the Disk Permissions, Repaired the Disk Permissions, and Repaired the disk - to which there were no problems, save for the re-grouping of some items which were all regrouped successfully - then I restarted the computer and was still met with the same results.

I'm not a tech wiz but if you can help fix this problem in a clear and simple way then I can save a trip from the country into the city; and a crazy packed Apple store in psychotic mall.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software: OS X Yosemite - Version 10.10.1

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 3:18 PM

6 replies

Dec 27, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank your for this link Mr. Davis.

I have already attempted the first option listed there to no avail, it did not solve the issue. Seeing that there were two more options made me hopeful, until I couldn't find the /Library/StartupItems Folder... Is that supposed to be easily discoverable through a search in Finder? If so it doesn't seem to exist on my computer. Could you please help direct me to where this folder is?

Thank you

Dec 28, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Mr. Davis! I found the Library folder and the StartupItems subfolder and deleted the HP USB EWS subfolder found within. Emptied the trash and restarted to find that the First Issue has been solved!

Unfortunately the Second Issue is still present. So it appears they were unrelated after all. If you have any clues as to how to solve it (described at the top of the thread) please let me know.

Dec 28, 2014 10:13 PM in response to JMPDesigns

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to restart the computer.

Late-model Macs are configured to enter standby after four hours in sleep while on AC power, in order to comply with a directive of the European Union. That behavior doesn't depend on the status of Power Nap.

You have three choices. One is to do nothing. Use the machine as designed. That's what I recommend.

The second choice is to disable Power Nap in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Uncheck the box marked Enable Power Nap... in each of the tabs. You won't get the wake delay anymore, but you won't get any of the features of Power Nap either. The wake delay while on AC power won't be affected.

The third choice is to increase the delay before standby mode is triggered, or to disable standby mode completely. This is an unsupported option and you're on your own as to the consequences. If you choose to go this route, proceed as below. These instructions are for advanced users only.

Back up all data before making any changes.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Drag across the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

sudo pmset –a standbydelay

Don't copy the blank space at the end of the line.

Launch the Terminal application.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. Press the space bar, then type the delay you want, in seconds. For example, if you want to change the standby delay from the default one hour to eight hours, enter 28800. Don't put commas or other punctuation marks in the number. To disable standby, enter 0 (zero.)

When the command is complete, press return. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. After running it, quit Terminal. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

To disable standby on AC power, enter this command:

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

and to revert to the default state,

sudo pmset autopoweroff 1

Dec 28, 2014 11:23 PM in response to JMPDesigns

When my Macbook Pro's battery has died while using it, and once plugged in and turned back on, I get the loading bars, with the faded screen. Then it takes almost a minute to use the mouse. I don't see as an issue, for me, as it only happens to me when I let the battery die. I think why nothing works, within a second, is because it's loading everything and the system is "collecting" itself.... Be careful to not let your computer die while writing files, though, because about a month ago, I did this and my startup files got corrupted....

Two different issues - Most likely connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.