Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 Subaru Outback and iPhone 6

Customer service and brand loyalty. Those are my things.

It's why so much of my technology is Apple ... and why I just purchased my second Subaru Outback. I am struggling, though, with why I can't seem to make these two pieces of technology "get along."

The 2015 Outback has a sleek and updated "infotainment" system, which is supposed to make the driver much less distracted by phone calls and shuffling through music. I can't get the Voice Command to recognize my iPhone 6's music library through Bluetooth OR USB. When I ask it to "Play Artist..." or "Play Album..." or "Play Playlist" and the phone's audio is connected through Bluetooth, the Voice Command tells me "The audio device is either busy or not connected. Please try again." This is despite the fact that my phone IS connected AND paired.

When I repeated those same commands and the iPhone 6 is plugged in to the provided USB port, I get a different response, only this one is equally as frustrating: "The music catalogue is loading. Please try again later." Despite waiting 20 minutes, I still get "The music catalogue is loading..." Subaru tells me this should not take 20 minutes.

I've already tried resetting the phone, un-pairing and re-pairing, changing out iPhone USB/charging cables, doing a hard reset and using both USB ports in the car. Nothing helps.

I do not fancy manually shuffling through my thousands of songs while riding down the highway, especially in a nice car with a nice phone ... who won't seem to play nice with each other.

Can anyone advise?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 5:25 PM

16 replies

Dec 28, 2014 12:24 PM in response to 10sgal

Hi 10sgal,

Thanks for the question. Based on what you stated, it seems like the iPhone is connecting through USB and bluetooth. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you isolate or resolve the issue.

Get help using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

If you have isolated an issue to the device, restore iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to its factory condition.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Mario

Dec 28, 2014 1:11 PM in response to mario49

Mario:

Thanks for your reply. I had already read that recommended article and restored my phone to its factory setting. In many Subaru forms, owners of iPhone 6s and/or users of iOS 8 (or 8.1 or 8.1.2) can connect through bluetooth and USB but all are having the same problems with voice commands.

My simplest question is: is this an Apple or a Subaru issue? It seems Android users are not having these problems, especially when it comes to music. Additionally, users have reported issues SINCE updating to the new iOS, so again, I'm wondering if I should pursue this issue with Apple. It would seem if my phone is "hard wired," if you will, through a USB port, it should function just fine, and yet it does not, even after reading the information available and trying the factory reset.

To me the article you mentioned, as I quote below, makes it sound like Apple is aware of the voice command limitations and is doing/has done nothing to address this lack of feature, now common on many new cars:

Remote user interface

Some car stereos and other accessories that connect with a 30-pin connector allow access to the device's user interface directly from your car stereo. The following might occur when using a remote user interface:

• Some car stereos can display track information from your device. If your device displays the proper track information but your stereo does not, please contact the stereo manufacturer for additional assistance.
  • When using the remote user interface, ensure that you enter commands through the car stereo and not through Voice Control.

Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2015 11:15 AM in response to dcbroten

My guess is that this is a subaru problem!

I have a 2013 Outback, and just got an iphone6. DOesn't work.

Called Subaru and they said that the phone won't work with any model before 2014. Nothing they can do about it!

Looking at other posts, I can see that the problem comes up with 2014s as well...

We need to rally Subaru to help!

May 18, 2015 6:25 PM in response to nyomtov

I have a 2015 Outback Premium and iPhone 6 Plus. I don't even try to use the Subaru Voice Commands to control the iPhone.

As an alternative turn on the 'Hey Siri' function on the phone and keep it plugged in while driving. I use a great cradle from ProClip USA that I installed. The phone is connected by cable to one of the 2 USB ports and is always charging.

Then all you need to do is say 'Hey Siri' and Siri will do whatever you want. Don't worry - the function only works if the phone is plugged in so you won't accidentally activate Siri this way when carrying around your phone. It works great!

May 24, 2015 7:46 AM in response to 10sgal

I'm having a similar problem. I have an iPhone 6 and a 2015 Subaru Impreza. It connects with Bluetooth, and the phone voice activation works well. It's the audio that doesn't work (music, podcasts). I need to activate those from the phone. And the List function on the steering wheel doesn't access the audio content. So essentially any audio requires hands-on which is not something I want to do. I read the Subaru manual, and it doesn't support iPhone 6, though it doesn't make reference to a particular version of iOS. My iPhone 4 worked perfectly, so if the previous Siri or hands-free options don't work, I may just use the old phone for music and podcasts, and the iPhone 6 for phone calls.

Aug 26, 2016 12:25 PM in response to 10sgal

I have a Outback with the Navigation option. I can access and control playlists by voice command. Rather than just touch the voice button on the steering wheel, which activates the Subaru builtin voice system, press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel. This will activate Siri and you can then give Siri commands via the microphone built into the Outback (and hear her responses on the audio system). It will not list a playlist as Siri says you can't do that in the car (I guess so you don't read playlists while driving).

Sep 18, 2016 3:58 PM in response to KnappStreetUser

I have it start playlists all the time and it works ok (occasionally misunderstands what I say). I just hold down the voice button until Siri activates and say "playlist driving" or "playlist loud" to play my driving playlist or my loud playlist for example. Podcasts are said to work but I don't use them myself.

AFAIK any command Apple's Siri 'handsfree' mode supports works on my Subaru.

2015 Subaru Outback and iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.