Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

loud piercing noise while talking on iPhone 6 plus

Loud piercing noise while talking on iphone 6 plus, goes away if I hang up and call the person back but come back again. Powering off didn't help. Any suggestions

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2014 6:38 PM

21 replies

Jun 7, 2017 10:47 AM in response to judysings

Thank you Judy,

That was helpful. My girlfriend's six+ was screeching away more often than not. She got a replacement through AT&T and it started happening again right away. I then suspected the common element, her lifeproof case. Your general troubleshooting tips included the possible cause of a blocked microphone. I guess that causes some sort of feedback like a microphone on stage too close to a speaker? I took the case off and the phone worked. I saw some foam near the mic was dislodged probably causign the situation. Now I've got to see if AT&T will remimburse the replacement deductible but I digress. Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2017 7:54 AM in response to amjbrj

Yesterday, I plugged in my headset (standard Apple earpods) to listen to music (iPhone 6). A call came in at that moment. Picked it up, no sound from the other side. Called back, still nothing. Remove and re-inserted the jack. Tried to call voice mail to check sound level; suddenly a deafening white noise blarted out of the earpieces, I yanked them out almost instantly but after a half an hour I still had trouble hearing and my ears hurt.

Dec 28, 2014 12:51 PM in response to amjbrj

Hi amjbrj,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Is the loud piercing sound happening when you are speaking (microphone issue) or listening (speaker issue)?

Here are some basic troubleshooting steps to try for both scenarios:

If your voice is too faint or sounds unclear using iPhone, or iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Test the microphone

To find out if there is an issue with the microphone itself—and not the app you're using or your cellular connection—test the microphone with the built-in Voice Memos app. Speak into the microphone and then play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

User uploaded file

Fix common issues

Follow these steps, testing after each with Voice Memos.

1. Unplug anything plugged into the headset jack.
  2. If you're on a call and holding your phone next to your ear, speak into the microphone and make sure you don't block it with your fingers or shoulder.
  3. If you're using a screen protector or case that covers the microphone, remove it. Clear any debris from the microphones.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you well on calls, contact Apple Support.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts5180

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Jun 10, 2015 3:55 PM in response to amjbrj

I am having the same issue. I tried muting my phone when it happened, as I was talking to a friend, and it still made the noise. I just bought my phone a week ago, and have had this issue from day 1. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it does in short bursts, but mainly it just drowns out everything. The noise sounds similar to the Emergency Broadcast Systems "drone note" that happens after all the annoying screeching. Sometimes it's in a different pitch as well. None of the trouble shooting I've read about here has helped though. Hopefully something to fix it will surface soon, otherwise i'm returning it. Oh yeah, and it's also heard on both ends of the phone call.

Jun 30, 2015 5:50 AM in response to judysings

I have been getting a couple calls from customers about this issue and it only pertains to Apple iphone 6 and 6+. so far the only common denominator is that they are using life proof cases. I've been directing them back to Apple store so that they can file cases so that if this becomes a known issue that Apple will have the correct troubleshooting steps available to assist our customers. - Tier 3 Technical Support

Jul 15, 2015 1:57 PM in response to amjbrj

I've had this exact issue since I bought the phone 3 weeks ago on my iPhone 6 +. Originally I thought it was because of poor cell reception. The sound is very loud on both ends of the call like an Emergency Broadcast System. LOUD. I would prance around thinking it was a reception issue until it would go away .... it's very stubborn. I tried tapping my phone and it went away. So every time it comes back I have to thump my phone even harder. I, too, have a Lifeproof case on it when these occurrences happen.

For now I'm just going to return the case. The sound doesn't come back when it's not in the case...

loud piercing noise while talking on iPhone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.