Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.2.3 (Snow Leopard) map for places still broken

I use iPhoto 9.2.3 with Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro (MacPro2,1 8 x 3,0 GHz) (and Safari 5.x)

I've geotagged quite a few photos and the locations are displayed on the map for Places.

However, it is not possible to move the map around. It always snaps back to the starting position. The map is also loading very slow when zooming in, sometimes it isn't upated at all, so that the pins are e.g. grouped in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

I've alread read about the solutions.... removing Safari 4 - on my System Safari 5 is installed.

Removing the com.apple.iphoto.plist - then I'd have to import all my 14,000 photos again - not an option

Let the Welcome screen be displayed everytime you launch iPhoto - in iPhoto 9.2.3 there's no means of having that screen still to be displayed after the first start of the program.

How do I get a working version of the map in Places?

(On an iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1.6) or an iPad 1 (iOS 5.xx) the places function and the maps work flawlessly...)

Udo

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Dec 27, 2014 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2014 10:20 AM

Removing the com.apple.iphoto.plist - then I'd have to import all my 14,000 photos again - not an option

Not so. Deleting the iPhoto preference file does not require you to reimport your files into iPhoto. It only requires you to reset the various preferences in iPhoto's preferences. When you remove the preference file you should launch iPhoto with the Option key held down so the library selection window is displayed:

User uploaded file

Then, if your library is not located in the default location, your Pictures folder, you can select it and open. No importing necessary.

I suggest the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of the Users/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder or the folder itself. It will be recreated the next time iPhoto is launched and used.

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Udo2001

Not so. Deleting the iPhoto preference file does not require you to reimport your files into iPhoto. It only requires you to reset the various preferences in iPhoto's preferences. When you remove the preference file you should launch iPhoto with the Option key held down so the library selection window is displayed:

User uploaded file

Then, if your library is not located in the default location, your Pictures folder, you can select it and open. No importing necessary.

I suggest the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of the Users/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder or the folder itself. It will be recreated the next time iPhoto is launched and used.

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

User uploaded file

Dec 27, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks... I'd forgotten about starting with the Option key held down...

Places/maps behave almost normal now. Home is still somewhere in Kazakhstan and I can't set the time zone to look automatically by the location, as the Airport card of the Mac Pro is broken (which isn't a problem, as the Mac is connected to a LAN cable anyway...)

Sometimes when clicking inside the map it still jumps, but not as "far" as before...

Udo

Jan 4, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Udo2001

OK... I deleted the aformentioned files and let iPhoto rebuild them, and I don't close iPhoto while on the map screen...

However:

• the map still opens somewhere in Kazakhstan or Russia with an obscure zoom factor, although the slider is all to the left.

• the Isle of Wight (there are about 100 photos with Geo-data from the Isle of Wight) belongs neither to the United Kingdom nor to England

• the Isle of Wight can't be selected from "Regions"

• having managed to display the region of Europe on the map, where my photos are located, double-clicking on a pin to zoom into the map, doesn't update the map - the pins end up being displayed in the Atlantic ocean

• the next double-click updates the map, however, even while double-clicking on a pin in England, the map all of a sudden displays the south of France

Do I have to delete the plist and cache files before every use of iPhoto? NOT a good idea!

Where is the fix, so that I can use iPhoto and the places function properly?

Why isn't the map updated properly? (I do have a DSL-line which is fast enough for showing video without interruptions - it ought to be sufficient for just a bit of map data...)

How can I set a proper "home position" for the first display of the map?

This piece of software is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. I'm used to better stuff from Apple.

Jul 7, 2015 11:23 PM in response to Udo2001

It seems to me that the places and geolocalisation features doesn't work anymore for the one still using iPhoto 9.2.3 on SnowLeopard.

you only get a blank screen wether you use Places, or the info panel with the small map in the lower right corner

I'm afraid it's linked with the fact that this old version of iPhoto uses Google maps ...

Jul 8, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Remy Leroy

That feature seems to have broken for nearly all versions of iPhoto and systems except for Mavericks and newer and iPhoto 9.6 and newer. Search the iPhoto forum and you'll find many topics on the issue. About all we can do is to

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos report the problem to Apple via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

iPhoto 9.2.3 (Snow Leopard) map for places still broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.