Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change iCloud ID in iOS8 - Can't Sign Out without turning off Find My iPad - which needs the password for the old iCloud ID

I have read the older responses to questions re how to change the iCloud account from an old ID/email address (OLD ID) - to a new ID/email address (CURRENT ID). They all say go to Settings>iCloud - and Delete the iCloud account. In iOS 8 - there is no Delete - but there is a Sign Out. BUT - when I choose the Sign Out it shows a pop-up with the OLD iCloud ID - saying I must first sign IN to iCloud and enter a Password Required to turn off the Find My iPad feature.

I have tried using the password I remember as being correct for the OLD iCloud ID. Doesn't work.

I have tried using the password for the CURRENT ID - even though the pop-up has the OLD ID displayed. Doesn't work.

I'm out of ideas - except Reset??

Should I Reset All Settings?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1, Change My Apple ID IN DEVICE

Posted on Dec 27, 2014 1:00 PM

8 replies

Dec 27, 2014 1:37 PM in response to NNeckSinger

Reset won't help. If you have Activation Lock on (i.e. Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone on) there is no way without the password. You need to go to Settings > iCloud and Sign Out. If you don't remember the password for the old account (the account the phone is signed in to) you will need to get assistance from Apple regarding the password. The following has instructions for that: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Dec 28, 2014 10:37 AM in response to FoxFifth

I finally found a work-around in another thread on this Using iPad community. Basically, I had to first make sure that the Messages and Facetime were associated with the CURRENT/NEW ID. (I could do this by simply erasing the OLD ID and typing in the new - in General>Messages and General>Facetime. I then used by PC to change my Apple ID back to the OLD ID/EMAIL - but leave the new password alone.

I then went back to Settings>iCloud - clicked on Sign Out. When it asked me to log on -- with the OLD ID/EMAIL -- to turn off the Find My Phone - I did so using the Password that was originally used with the CURRENT/NEW ID. This worked. So I finally was able to close out of the iCloud account that used the OLD ID/EMAIL.

I then went back on my PC to change my Apple ID back to the CURRENT/NEW ID/EMAIL.

I then went back to the iPad Settings>iCloud - and signed on using the CURRENT/NEW ID/EMAIL.

So everything is OK now.

WHEW!!!

Not sure why this has to be so difficult. But thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Mar 16, 2015 3:34 PM in response to NNeckSinger

I have lost my apple ID then was able to retreive it. But it made me sign in as a new user & create a new password to use the itunes and everything else. Real problem is with iCloud & find my iphone i cannot sign out of them because the pop up window show the id but when i enter the password it says "incorrect" i updated my ios to the latest & explored all options in the net but nothing worked. Please help me

Apr 26, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Sam_hamza

It's called an "activation lock." It's an anti-theft mechanism. It makes the iPad/iPod/iPhone worthless to a thief. Having said that, there are issues faced by legitimate owners. In those instances, Apple will remove the lock if AND ONLY IF the owner provides a government photo ID and incontrovertible proof (i.e., proof that will hold up in court) that he/she is the owner. This proof must be trackable back to the original owner.

If an Apple Store is convenient, make an appointment with the resident "Genius." Otherwise, you must ship the device to Apple. To make arrangements, call 800-275-2273 in the U.S.A. and I think Canada.

Cannot change iCloud ID in iOS8 - Can't Sign Out without turning off Find My iPad - which needs the password for the old iCloud ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.