Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i unlock an iphone 4s off a fresh restore?

i just bought a phone from a friend without a sim, when i restore it i cant get past the sim activation process and im wondering if i just leave it alone can i bring it somewhere and unlock it without that? or do i need the original sim for the phone to be activated first.

if it helps iim on iOS 8.1.2

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 27, 2014 3:24 PM

7 replies

Dec 27, 2014 3:44 PM in response to ckuan

the provider that my friend had, i called them and they said they cant do it since im not in a contract with them, but i should go to a third party service who can the thing is, i restored the phone and i dont have the original sim or a sim that is on that network. no way i can unlock it with it being restored and not activated by a sim yet?

Dec 27, 2014 3:58 PM in response to ckuan

ckuan, i understand what your saying, but i just updated to 8.1.2 and i haven't activated the phone yet, if i do contact my friend and tell him to ask rogers for an unlock request, can i do it without the sim? because rogers is the carrier and they even told me to go to a 3rd party who can unlock so i dont see how it can be a scam or why they would send me to a scammer

Dec 27, 2014 4:03 PM in response to 3DayTheory

because rogers is the carrier and they even told me to go to a 3rd party who can unlock so i dont see how it can be a scam or why they would send me to a scammer

They want you to get off their backs.

It is your choice.

Note: if you encounter any issue after that, you have void support from Apple and this forum.

Anyway, you can use an old SIM (it need not be active).

can i unlock an iphone 4s off a fresh restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.