Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I take my child off my Apple ID?

When my daughter was younger she shared my apple account & id. How do I now separate us but still keep all the info that we both have?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 8:40 AM

1 reply

Dec 30, 2014 8:06 AM in response to Ann-marie526

Hi Ann-marie526,

Happy Holidays! There are two ways to achieve your goal of "splitting" your current Apple ID into two and retaining the information in both accounts. The first step would be to create a new Apple ID for your daughter. This new Apple ID could be used primarily for her iCloud services - contacts, calendars, notes, etc.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5622

If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one at My Apple ID. You should use your primary email address as your Apple ID.

Once that is done, you have two decisions to make -

1) You can have your daughter use her Apple ID for iCloud, and keep your Apple ID for iTunes Store purchases, or

2) You can have your daughter use her own Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes, and set up Family Sharing to share the iTunes purchases with her.

I'll include some information below for both scenarios. I've highlighted some of the key points. Click on the links for complete details.

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

When you set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can use the same Apple ID for both iCloud services and purchases on the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. Or, you can also use one Apple ID for iCloud services and a different Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). You'll get all the benefits of iCloud whether you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and Store purchases, or different IDs for each. To change the Apple ID signed in to iCloud or iTunes on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, sign out and use the steps below to sign back in with the updated Apple ID.

Start or join a family group using Family Sharing - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-is/HT201088

Start or join a family group using Family Sharing

Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six people in your family to share each other’s iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases without sharing accounts. Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device. And share photos, a family calendar, and more to help keep everyone connected.

Use the steps below to start a new family group or join an existing family group. You can be a part of only one family at a time.

Get started

Here's what you'll need to use Family Sharing:

• An Apple ID signed in to iCloud and iTunes
  • iOS 8 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or OS X Yosemite on your Mac

Start a family group

One adult in the family—the family organizer—can set up Family Sharing for the group. When you set up Family Sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards.

Set up Family Sharing

Use these steps in iOS 8:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap Set Up Family Sharing, then tap Get Started.
  3. Confirm that you want to be the family organizer and that you're signed in with your personal Apple ID.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Use these steps in OS X Yosemite:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Set Up Family.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

After you set up Family Sharing, you can invite your family members to join.

Invite people to join your family

Use these steps in iOS 8:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Family > Add Family Member.
  2. Enter your family member's name or email address.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions. After you send the invitation, you can check its status under the person's name in Settings > iCloud > Family.

Use these steps in OS X Yosemite:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Manage Family.
  3. Click +, then follow the onscreen instructions.

You can also use these steps to create an Apple ID for a child and add them to your family group. When you create an account for a child, you must use a credit card as the payment method as part of providing your parental consent. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card if you choose.

Join a family group

You can accept or decline an invitation to join a family from you iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. If the invitation is sent to your email address, you can also respond right from your email. To accept an invitation in iOS 8, go to Settings > iCloud > Invitations. In OS X Yosemite, choose Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family. Then follow the onscreen instructions.

Here's what you'll be asked to do when you join:

• Confirm your Apple ID and password.
  • Choose if you want to share your content and which iTunes Store account you want to share from.
  • Choose if you want to share your location. If you agree, your location can be displayed on family members’ devices in Find My Friends and Messages, and the location of your shared devices will also appear on family members’ devices in Find My iPhone.

What's next

You can share eligible iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store content, family photos, a family calendar, your location, and more.

Learn more

Family Sharing requires a personal Apple ID signed in to iCloud and iTunes. Music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers. iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are required to set up or join a Family Sharing group and are recommended for full functionality. Not all content is eligible for Family Sharing. Content can be hidden by family members; hidden content is not available for download. Content downloaded from family members or acquired via redemption codes is not subject to Ask to Buy.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

How do I take my child off my Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.