Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5K iMac - bad GPUs?

Myself and others are experiencing what appears to be GPU issues on the new 5K iMacs. I've personally only seen the issue when in the in-OS Time Machine interface (after clicking "Enter time machine"). The photos below show what we're seeing. Screenshots do not show the graphical glitch - hence the photos - which would suggest a hardware issue.

There is a mix of M290X and M295X sufferers, so it's not specific to one card. Some people have it, some don't. I'm personally well within my 14 day return window for my BTO iMac, so am keen to return it within that window if this is a hardware problem. If it's a TM bug, that's fine.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what this is? Is it a hardware issue?

More comments from those who suffer the problem can be found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1832514

https://twitter.com/shawnblanc/status/527878283241615360

http://shawnblanc.net/2014/10/a-week-with-the-retina-imac/

Thanks for any advice/tips/help.

Andy

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB M295X

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 8:21 AM

8 replies

Dec 28, 2014 8:32 AM in response to SeaPapp

That's the logical thing isn't it. I've got until the 9th January to request a return (Christmas purchasing thing) but doubt I'll get a Genius appointment before then. I might just send it back and ask for a full refund in that case. The problem seems oddly widespread, which is definitely putting me off buying another one.

Jan 24, 2015 1:21 AM in response to Chris0071

I chose to return my iMac after being recommended by AppleCare to return it or take it to a store - twice.

Besides a number of graphical glitches, I experienced the more common GPU heat problems...I don't know if the two are connected as I didn't have time to test. I was told, however, that many of the graphics glitches (those you are experiencing) are fixed in 10.10.2 by a couple of beta users.

My primary problem was; The M295X GPU is running hot doing any kind of mid-heavy tasks and in a number of cases is actually throttling itself because the iMac cannot dissipate the heat fast enough. More info here. This could be a driver issue, but it could be a hardware thing. No-one knows.

I asked AppleCare if >100C was safe for the card and was told that temperature is "not safe for anything". That was the tipping point for me. Many users are getting 104-106C on their cards, including me - I actually got it to 108C.

None of the refurb units have contained a M295X, which is also very odd.

Apr 5, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Andy9l

I've returned 2 5k Imacs in the past couple of months due to bad GPUs. The first one would show a green screen on my connected secondary monitor on wake up. The second one would crash repeatedly and intermittently upon wakeup. I contacted the apple support team and after analyzing the crash reports they determined it was a bad GPU in both cases. After paying $3500 for each machine I wasn't going to hang onto a defective product only to send it in to have it repaired.

If you buy one, make sure run the GPU tests from furmark to test out the system properly.

5K iMac - bad GPUs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.