Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator won't allow copying of files to external HD

I am a web developer and recently created a new Automator process that would copy all the files from my Applications/MAMP/htdocs directory on my Mac to my external hard drive once a day at 1am. it consists of two steps "Get specified Finder Items" where I select the above directory, and "Copy Finder Items" where I specify the directory on the external hard drive. Pretty simple.

However, when I run the process it stops immediately with the error "You don't have permission to save the file "WebSiteBackups" in the folder "External File Storage".

I've gone into Finder and set both directories' permission parameters to "Read and Write" for all items, and this didn't correct the issue.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might not be working properly?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 10:36 AM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your response.

I went to Get Info on my External Drive and under Sharing & Permissions, all the Named persons, Me, Staff and everyone are set to Read and Write. Underneath that, "Ignore Ownership on this volume" is checked.

I then went to add "Automator" but that isn't a valid user. However I did note that Admin wasn't on the list. So I am adding that to the list of users with read & write capability and see what happens.

I am wondering if this is a bug in Yosemite?

Automator won't allow copying of files to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.