Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to Yosemite and now Iphoto says it's incompatable. Downloaded the new version 3 times now and still get the same message. Restarted Macbook twice and still same problem

I updated my Macbook Pro to Yosemite this morning, (it took almost 2 hours!), and now iPhoto tells me it's incompatable with Yosemite and I need to download the latest version. I've done that 3 times now and restarted twice, (just in case) and I still get the same message, incompatable...download the latest version of iPhoto.

Frustrating as ****!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 12:08 PM

10 replies

Dec 28, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Frank Rabbit

The "latest" version is a bit ambiguous. The App Store may be only showing you the latest version you bought, not the most recent version.

Which version did you download?

You need to install iPhoto 9.6 and launch this version. If you previously have been running a version of iPhoto 8.x.x., you cannot update, but need to buy the upgrade to iPhoto 9.6 from the "Featured" tab of the App Store..

Then launch iPhoto from the Applications folder. The Dock icon may still be tied to the older version.

Also, depending on the version you upgraded from, you may need to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader, if your iPhoto Library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.2 or earlier, see this link: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

Dec 28, 2014 12:21 PM in response to dot.com

The version I'm trying to download again (4th time's the charm?) is 9.6, that's the info on the app site.

I couldn't tell you what version I have on my Macbook right now because it won't open, because it says it's not compatible with Yosemite.

I downloaded 9.6 from the app site 3 times now, at least I thought downloaded it because the download stopped.

As far as I can tell I've only ever had a single version of iPhoto

Dec 28, 2014 12:29 PM in response to léonie

Your solution is probably very helpful and I thank you for the reply, but it's also very complicated.

I really just want to access my photos and not have to spend the day downloading apps and changing settings.

Strange that Apple would release a version of it's OS without making sure all of it's other programs weren't compatible.

I was hoping there would be a simple "one button" download/upgrade solution.

Dec 28, 2014 4:22 PM in response to bikerstockbroker

WT Heck is up. I installed the "Upgrader" thing it asked me to but that did nothing. I will keep you posted if I figure this out.

Then your problem is a different one. If iPhoto is prompting you to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader, your iPhoto library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.2 or earlier, and needs to be prepared, so iPhoto 9.6 can upgrade it.

After you installed the iPhoto library Upgrader, you have to launch it. The application is in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

When it launches, direct it to your iPhoto Library.

Don't run the iPhoto library Upgrader, before you have made a backup of your iPhoto library, just to be on the safe side.

Dec 28, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Frank Rabbit

You don't need to run iPhoto to find the version - use the "Get Info" command in Finder - simply highlight the app (or any file really) you wish to get more information about and do the Command-I - up will pop a dialog box which shows you a lot of information about the file. It's size, where it's physically located, etc. That will tell you the version number if the file is an ".app" type application program.

I updated to Yosemite and now Iphoto says it's incompatable. Downloaded the new version 3 times now and still get the same message. Restarted Macbook twice and still same problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.