Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete text messages

I have been having a reoccurring problem deleting conversations and messages from my iPhone. This began with my iPhone 4S, and has carried over to my brand new iPhone 6.

Whenever I delete a single conversation, my phone begins to slow down, and my messaging application quits unexpectedly when I use it. After some time, or restarting, the messaging app works again, but the deleted conversation is back. Deleting multiple conversations not only slows the device, but also keeps any messages I've been sent, iMessage or text. As soon as the phone has been restarted, all of the conversations have returned.

I have gone to Settings>Messages>Message History and set it to 30 Days, but that has not deleted existing conversation. I also do not back up my messages to the cloud as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, Carry over issue from 4S

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 11:38 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2015 10:43 PM in response to Tfilling

Before iOS 8 I NEVER searched internet for "how to do ... on iPhone ?". Now it's my third time when I cannot find a function to delete all messages on iPhone, that should be and was obvious in previous versions of iOS.

Steve Jobs is turning in his grave, Mac has been already pushed away from main stream when PC came in with open architecture, now history will repeat itself, Apple will loose clients because of iOS8, and Android will take the market. But this time Steve Jobs will not come back to rescue the company. Pitty.

Cannot delete text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.