Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option for "Airplay" in "Display" settings on MacBook Pro; Where else is this option?

Trying to mirror MacBook Pro to Apply TV. Under "Display" settings there is no option for "Airplay". Even after a software update, such option was not visible. Where else can I find an Airplay option on my Mac OS X version 10.7.5.

- I set up Apply TV with my iPhone and I had no problems
- I already turned on "Airplay" settings on Apple TV
- However I am unable to find the "Airplay" option on my MacBook Pro
- I opened up my "System Preferences"
- Clicked on "Display"

* On and Off "Airplay" option is nowhere to be found.

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 4:46 PM

8 replies

Dec 30, 2014 10:11 AM in response to JenLeb16

Hello there, JenLeb16.

When having issues not seeing the Airplay icon, the following Knowledge Base article offers up some great, in-depth information for troubleshooting:

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

If after reviewing the initial information in the article, you find that the issue persists:

Troubleshooting AirPlay Mirroring

If you don't see mirroring options

If your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network, but no AirPlay Mirroring menu appears, your Apple TV may be asleep. Simply press a button on your Apple TV remote to wake it up. After a few seconds, the AirPlay Mirroring menu extra appears. If you still don't see the options you expect, make sure your Apple TV has the current software update installed. Also make sure that you have the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option selected in the Displays pane of System Preferences.

User uploaded file

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Dec 30, 2014 1:28 PM in response to JenLeb16

AirPlay is honorably buggy and failure prone. The menu option for it dis-appears randomly and for random devices. Even when it is there frequently fails. I would disable it and forget about it. If you are going to use it I would use a wired connection for AppleTV. Using AirPlay over WiFi multiples the failures and errors. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 half the posts on this forum are AirPlay related.

Dec 31, 2014 5:54 AM in response to JenLeb16

Found The Solution!
Thanks for all you're suggestions.

The reason why I was not given an "AirPlay" option was because I needed to download version 10.10.1 OS X Yosemite in the Apple Store. The update give me the Airplay option in the "Displays" settings located in "System Preferences".

Problems With iPhoto Now...

However, I am now having problems with my "iPhoto". My iPhoto is not opening and every time I try to open it, a pop up message says: "The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store" - Which I downloaded 3 times and nothing happened.
Is there an other app that I can download that is similar to iPhoto that would allow me to get all my pictures back?

Thanks,
Jen

No option for "Airplay" in "Display" settings on MacBook Pro; Where else is this option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.