Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc Not Ejected Properly keeps popping up every 5 mins or so

User uploaded fileHow do I stop this from happening all the time???

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 6:45 PM

8 replies

Dec 30, 2014 11:02 AM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Hello Rusty,

For most issues with any USB device disconnecting, then consult the article below to go over general troubleshooting like checking for any conflicts and trying it out different ports and users on your Mac. The article will help determine if it is an issue with the ports on your computer or the USB device.

USB and FireWire Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1151

regards,

-Norm G.

Dec 31, 2014 11:00 AM in response to rustyfromexmouth

Does this problem happen with any other external USB drive? Try a different device in the same or other USB ports. If you can get your hands on an external drive with a dedicated power source, then try this one as well since it will help determine if the problem is from power loss to the device or from something else. If other devices do not show this problem, then it is very likely this one drive that is failing, either because of a direct drive failure, or because of a problem with the USB controller and drive interface in the unit's enclosure.

Dec 31, 2014 10:41 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Your a legend!!!! This seen to have fixed the problem. The only thing is do I have to leave the "config file" on the desktop?

Robster50Jan 25, 2014 12:05 AM Re: Disk not ejected properly
Re: Disk not ejected properlyin response to iPhabio | This solved my question

Hi All

I am not sure if the fix I am about to relay will work for everyone here BUT it has certainly worked for me!

I have a new MBPr which I migrated from my old MBPr and immeadiatly started to get the problems described in this forum.

I have investigaed most of the solutions suggested here and elsewhere without any success, I did install Jettison but while this masked the problem it actually stopped most of my backups working!

So I called Apple support and pushed it very hard until I had a Teir 2 person on the line and she was incredibly helpful, supportive and instisted she woudl ge the problem fixed and she delivered.

She pinned the problem down to the migration from the older machine/prefs corruption.

I will try and record here exactly what we did.

Instructions

1. Pull out your ethernet cable and disable WiFi and any other network connectivity you have.

2. Open Finder, go to your computer and then select you Macintosh HD (or whatever you have renamed it).

3. Go to Macintosh HD - Library - Preferences

4. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and you ewill see a folder called SystemConfiguration

5. Pull this folder onto the desktop.

6. Go to System Preferences - Sharing and change the name of your computer, even just a litlle bit.

7. Reboot

8. Re-enable Wifi and Ethernet

9. If you have installed Jettison, remove it and remove it from your start up items.

You shoudl be good to go.

My machine was constantly ejecting my USB drive, even if left for onnly 10-15 minutes, since doing this I have not had one single ejection and I am into 48 plus hours of run time.

If you like what Jettison does but don't want to eject the disks everytime your computer sleeps and it will!, then try UnDock from the Mac App store.

Very similar functionality BUT it is a manual process.

In my case if I am going to be going out I will simply use the key combo I hae seletced Ctrl-Alt-Command plus U and all my external devices undock.

I really hope this helps one or more you you guys.

Robin

Disc Not Ejected Properly keeps popping up every 5 mins or so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.