Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Mountain Lion on New Macbook Pro from APPS

How can I install Mountain Lion into a VM on a New Macbook Pro running YOSEMITE from APPS

I have it in my apps purchased but It tells me the system is to New to download/run it

I have tried mounting my install ESD copy but it has the same Problem

I don't have another Mac

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 28, 2014 9:40 PM

17 replies

Dec 28, 2014 10:08 PM in response to Apple User from AU

I think the problem is that you can't install an older OS X version onto a system running a newer OS X version. So I would try the following:

1. have an external disk or create another partition on an internal drive to use for the Mountain Lion install (you might have to shrink an existing partition to make room for another)

2. Create an external bootable USB thumb drive with the Mountain Lion OS on it (do a search on the web for this - for example see http://www.macworld.com/article/1167857/how_to_make_a_bootable_mountain_lion_ins tall_drive.html

3. Reboot Yosemite and then boot from the USB thumb drive by holding down the option key

4. run the mountain lion installer and install on the new disk/partition you created in step 1 - it will also create another recovery partition from this same part of the disk

Now your Mac system will have both a Mountain Lion install as well as the Yosemite install. You won't be able to use Migration Assistant to move things from Yosemite to Mountain Lion because it will see that you're "going backwards" and won't allow you to.

Have a good backup of everything before starting in case there are problems.

Good luck...

Apr 22, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Fabio1004

You need to uninstall Mountain Lion. Running Mountail Lion in a virtual machine is only allowed if the Mac is already running Mountain Lion as the host. Running a Mountain Lion virtual machine with any other OS as the host (Yosemite, Mavericks, etc) is a violation of Mountain Lion's software license agreement.

If your Mac is too new to run Mountain Lion, the only solution is to get a used Mac that can.

How to install Mountain Lion on New Macbook Pro from APPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.