Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my iPad air 2 find my location?

I have just received my new iPad air 2 16 GB WiFi model not cellular and I'm unable to find my location using the maps or any other mapping application.

When connected to my home WiFi network I'm still unable to find my location.

I have a Macbook pro and don't have any issues with the maps at all.

Does my iPad have any GPS capability when not connected to a WiFi network?

Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2, Air 2

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 3:32 AM

12 replies

Dec 29, 2014 3:49 AM in response to evos66

First of all, make sure that location services are activated in the Settings app (under "Privacy").

If this is already on, then there isn't much you can do:

To determine it's position, the Wifi iPad model doesn't have a GPS chip, so it relies on databases, which know the position of your wifi emitter.

The Macbook Pro can determine it's location that way but only if your wifi network is in the database. But he Mac is also able to know it's location using your home/office IP address.

So the only thing you can try is: have a cellular iPad (which has GPS), or an iPhone connected to your wifi network, and it should automatically determine the location of the wifi using the GPS and send it to the database.

Try to connect to other wifi network, like public ones (like in MacDonald's, Starbucks or whatever shop you have in your country). their location should be in the databases. If it doesn't work, you might want to call Apple for help.

Jan 12, 2015 7:43 AM in response to bobseufert

I've had this problem since before Christmas when we swapped to BT Infinity. Our the location services on our iPad worked ok until then. Since then I've reset the router twice and also turned it completely off and on again. I've turned location services on and off several times. I've got a friend with an iPhone to come round and go through location services procedure. I've contacted Apple support who got me to do a reset on the iPad and then advised me to go to my local Apple shop. It's 35 miles away, so I rang them first, they could only suggest a reset or going back to Apple support. we live in a rural community, so I'm not sure where would be the best place to go out and try a different wifi connection. Other than that it's seems as though I might be waiting months or years for the database to be updated. No one seems to know how often this might be. (Perhaps when Halleys comet next goes over!). As you may gather, I'm getting a bit fed up with this by now.

Jan 14, 2015 12:53 AM in response to evos66

I Rang Apple back on Monday and was eventually transferred to a senior adviser. She got me to "forget this network" on the iPad for the hub and unplug the hub, then reset it, but it didn't work. She then suggested I try using iCloud on my laptop to "find my iPad ".that didn't work either, so she said she will investigate further. She was off on Tuesday, so hopefully she will be able to come up with something for me. Will let you know.

Jan 14, 2015 12:10 PM in response to evos66

An update on the situation. Apple support came back to me today and advised me that I should go back to BT and ask them if the new Home Hub 5 has got a geo - locator fitted and if it hasn't, to ask if it could be upgraded. Rang BT and they advised that this is a known problem that they are working on. They also advised that they hope to get it sorted out in the next 2 weeks. I shall wait to see if they come back as they promised.

Feb 23, 2015 12:57 AM in response to evos66

BT didn't get back to me, so after 3weeks I rang them. Spent 1hr 40mins talking to various people who didn't seem to know about this "known problem". Gave up and rang Apple adviser that I'd spoken to before. Left a message for a call back and also emailed her. That was about 2weeks ago. Hadn't heard anything and was just about to give up. Suddenly, this morning, Location services are working again. 2 months after our router was changed.a Post script to this. I have just tried Location services and it's not working again. I can't quite believe this is happening.

Why can't my iPad air 2 find my location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.