Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysterious download/install

This morning I found an unexpected install dmg on my desktop and the little window asking for my password. 'Get info' produced: /private/tmp/tmpinstallmc.dmg A quick web search indicated that it was something called 'Genieo' and that I would not want it on my computer. I clicked 'cancel' on the window asking for my password and moved the icon to Trash. A quick search with Spotlight and I found the Genieo in my applications folder and some files in the Library folder - all binned. I emptied trash and restarted the iMac.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is there anything else I should do - anything I have missed?

2. How did that thing get onto my desktop in the first place ( I have not downloaded anything new for quite a while)?

3. How do I prevent it coming back (assuming that I have got rid of it altogether)?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iBook 12" 10.2;

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 3:55 AM

1. Read this document.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

2. It can be picked up by casual browsing in one of your standard areas. Places like asking Google about medical matters, betting odds and so on.

3. No strict rules, just browse carefully and absorb the document above.

3 replies

Mysterious download/install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.