Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro loses network connection after wake from sleep since Yosemite upgrade.

Mac Pro loses network connection after wake from sleep since Yosemite upgrade. Any one have this issue as well. And is there a work around?

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply
30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2015 2:38 AM in response to Community User

I'm getting this too (Mac Pro Mid 2012). Worked fine before I upgraded to 10.10.1.

I'm connected by ethernet and wifi and although both are showing as connected and working fine after I wake from sleep, my Mac just won't connect to the internet. The ONLY thing that works is a reboot, which obviously defeats the point of putting it to sleep!

Just for clarification, it is definitely isolated to my Mac as the other PC's and older Mac's (not running Yosemite) in the room are all fine.

Any help in sorting this would obviously be much appreciated.

BTW: I think there are probably more Mac Pro users out there with this problem but it's difficult finding threads focusing on this and not the wifi problem that seems to be widespread.

Jan 26, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Community User

I've been having the same problem. System Preferences/Network shows that the ethernet port is plugged in, but has a 'self assigned ip address' and does not show an address for the router

The solution that works for me is in System Preferences/Network to 'Configure IPv4' manually.

You may need to login to your router to check the settings to put here, or check another device on the network to see what the Subnet Mask and Router addresses are. I set the final figure of the IPv4 Address to a high value, one that is not already being used by another device on your network.

Again check in the router settings to see what the valid address range is for your network.

That fixed it for me.

It may not be necessary, but for good measure I also 'reserved' the same DHCP address for the Mac in the Router control panel.

Jan 27, 2015 8:08 AM in response to cliffyballgame

Hi to all,

Having exactly the same problem here in the Netherlands with my hard wired Mac Pro, that I have to reboot after every sleep to get a network connection. Problem indeed seems to be isolated to the upgraded Mac Pro (2010) + Yosemite, as my Mac Mini (2011), Mac Book (2008), my boys Windows machines (2014) and my Linux laptop have no problem at all.

So ..... Apple please solve this problem soon, as one of the key reasons for choosing Apple for me was the fast wake from sleep. My Linux machine is waking faster and faster, while as iOS seems to be degrading.

Best regards from a formerly happy but now unhappy user.

Feb 2, 2015 6:16 PM in response to Community User

Same issue for me and I bet for all Mac Pros. I have worked on this so much and have taken the updates. Now I am going to drop back to 10.9 with great disappointment but, I can't take a computer I have to reboot 10 times a day.

Tried:

Fixed IP

Pram reset

Sram reset

Trash network preferences, etc.

Just started guest account (generic and resettable) but it would not sleep! Ugh.

My Mac Pro loses network connection after wake from sleep since Yosemite upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.