Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add yahoo to imessage when my yahoo and apple IDs are the same?

I cannot add yahoo to imessage. Is that maybe because my apple ID and my yahoo ID are the same? If that is the problem, is there a way of getting around it, or will I have to get a new yahoo address?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 11:48 AM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2014 12:54 PM in response to lastard

Hi,

Your Question is phrased wrong which might be where you are misunderstanding how to use the ID in both iMessages (as the Apple ID) and Add it as a separate Messages Account as a Yahoo ID.

The App is called Messages.

iMessages is just one account you can have Active.

There are two ways to add the ID as the Yahoo ID

One is in System Preferences > Internet Account > Yahoo and tick the Box for Messages (as Eric hints at)

The other is to do it in Messages.

Go to Messages > Preferences > Accounts.

Click the + icon under the list of Accounts

User uploaded file

In the pane that gets displayed choose Yahoo.

User uploaded file

You will need a proper Yahoo issued ID and not just one that works with that service.

The Password will need to be the one you use at Yahoo and not the one that is probably different you use with Apple.

As your Name it pulls it from the Contacts App.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Tuesday; December 30, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 15, 2016 7:36 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I followed this also, my issue is after hit the plus icon to add an account, i select yahoo, then it asks for the the email then password. I've entered both, then next, then this message of "Messages can't log in to "my account name" because your login ID or password is incorrect. Neither one of those things is incorrect. Is there an issue with the OIS and yahoo possibly?

Nov 16, 2016 1:03 PM in response to ChrisGagne

Hi,

Unfortunately the issue is now with Yahoo and the info in this thread has become out of date.

Two years ago Yahoo had a data breach that they have only just told people about.

Recently they announced they were doing away with their old Messenger app and it's service whilst announcing a new app and service.

There used to be an Yahoo for Mac app that never got listed as being out of beta and was stopped sometime between Lion and iChat 6 where Yahoo in iChat/Messages started and 2014 when the data breach occurred.

You can search the App Store for "Yahoo Messenger" and it will show you some apps but I am not sure if any of them work with the New Service.

The changes seemed to have caught many people unawares including Apple and the plugin in Messages that makes the Yahoo bit work.

User uploaded file

9:03 pm Wednesday; November 16, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

How can I add yahoo to imessage when my yahoo and apple IDs are the same?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.