Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro freezes with external monitor

Hardware: A mid 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel, OSX 10.10.1, 8 GB RAM, connected to 23-inch Dell monitor via VGA through a Targus dock.

The external monitor frequently (four times today) freezes for no apparent reason. The cursor moves around the screen, but won't respond to clicks. The only way to clear the problem is to force a power down and reboot.

What's up?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 1:47 PM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2014 2:43 PM in response to sgibson

Hi sgibson,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with the external display on your MacBook Pro. I also apologize, I'm a bit unclear on the exact nature or scope of the issue you are describing. Are you using the display in extended desktop or mirroring mode? If you are using it in extended desktop mode, is the issue limited to the external display, or does it also freeze the primary display as well? Does the same thing happen if the display is directly connected to the MacBook Pro (i.e. without the dock)? If you continue having issues, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful in isolating the cause:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

Regards,

- Brenden

Dec 31, 2014 7:26 AM in response to brenden dv

Brenden,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the display in extended, not mirror, mode. When the MacBook freezes, the problem affects both screens. I'm unable to connect the external monitor directly to the MacBook (thus bypassing the Targus dock) because the cable connections are not compatible. The Dell monitor has two cable connections: VGA and DVI-D, neither of which matches anything on the Mac.

The monitor was originally connected via VGA. The system froze three times before lunch. Then I switched to the DVI and the system has been stable since then.

If problems persist, I'll try the link you provided.

Thanks again.

Jan 7, 2015 7:36 AM in response to waffleboy1877

Thanks to you both for your replies. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was waiting to see how things went.

After a cable change between the dock and my Dell monitor (from VGA to DVI-D) and switching from a track pad to a wireless mouse (waffleboy's suggestion), the system has settled down. No freezes in the last several days.

The setup still has its kinks, but at least it's not crashing.

Thanks again.

Jan 8, 2015 1:43 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

I'm having the same problem with a late 2011 MacBook Pro when connecting to an external display (Samsung HD TV) with an Apple connector. This usually occurs while watching Netflix. The screen freezes up and flickers. The first time it happened I restarted the computer and it was stuck and looping on the start-up screen. It looped for about 5+ minutes, then I closed the laptop, waited a few moments and reopened it. It somehow reset itself and started up. The second time it happened, I restarted the computer and everything was fine.

I've also reinstalled Yosemite twice in 2 days. I'll try it again tonight, but any suggestions?

Thanks!

Janet

MacBook Pro freezes with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.