Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MBA's battery has decreased from 11 hours to 5 hours?

I got my macbook air (2014) about 3 weeks ago and at the beginning my battery was amazing, lasting above 10 hours when I just browsed the internet, used microsoft word and youtube etc. And doing the same now, the battery only lasts about 5 hours or so.

I tend to charge my battery when it gets to around 40-50% as I saw that was what's best to do online and probably only once let it completely die out before charging it.

What kind of issue is this? I want to get it sorted this week as on saturday/sunday I am going back to university and there isn't an apple store nearby.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 4:12 PM

1 reply

Dec 29, 2014 7:25 PM in response to sejluh

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the rated life for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or thesefor OS X 10.8 or earlier.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

if it's shown (it may not be.)

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

New MBA's battery has decreased from 11 hours to 5 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.