Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded a song on iTunes, it won't play (it's name is grey), it shows up in purchased and says "play", but it won't play, I can't delete it, and I can't re-download it.....this is confusing please help!!

I downloaded a song on iTunes, it won't play (it's name is grey), it shows up in purchased and says "play", but it won't play, I can't delete it, and I can't re-download it.....this is confusing please help!!

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 9:18 PM

1 reply

Dec 31, 2014 7:51 AM in response to CTGame

Hello CTGame,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like there’s a grayed out song in your iTunes library that can’t be played or downloaded again like other past purchases. Try taking a look at the article linked below and verify the computer is authorized to play that content.

How to troubleshoot iTunes Match - Apple Support

Songs appear to be missing

Songs containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) might not appear in iCloud, or might appear grayed out. This can occur if your computer is not authorized to play that content. Try authorizing your computer, then manually update iTunes Match. To determine what Apple ID your computer needs to be authorized for to play a specific song:

1. Locate and select the song in your iTunes library.
  2. Choose File > Get Info.
  3. In the Summary tab, locate the Account Name field in the right column. Write it down.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Choose Store > Authorize this Computer.
  6. Type in the account name from the Summary field and enter its password. Click Authorize.
  7. Choose Store > Update iTunes Match.

So long,

-Jason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.