Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarts then never boots into install for new OS

Hi!

Long story shot,

I have a MacPro 3,1 running 10.5.8 server. I am trying to upgrade to Yosemite.

I have a copy of 10.6.3 Snowleopard server.

Since I got this computer I've never used the CD drive and it appears to be dead. It does not recognize a CD/DVD of any type.

So I've been trying to install 10.6.3 using remote disk. At first it would not recognize a 'remote disk' device even though I was on the correct sharing settings, then I found a bit of terminal script online used in the macbook air and it reads and runs remote disk fine.

NOW my problem is, when I click to install it tells me I must reboot first to continue the install process, I'll restart then nothing happens. It just boots up like normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Trying to upgrade to 10.6.3

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 5:48 AM

3 replies

Dec 30, 2014 11:07 AM in response to PorschesAnd1911s

What you are trying to do is explicitly not supported:

Note: These types of discs or activities are not supported by DVD or CD sharing:

• DVD movies.
  • Audio CDs.
  • Copy protected discs such as game discs.
  • Install discs for an operating system such as Microsoft Windows (for use with Boot Camp), or Mac OS X.
  • Burn a CD or DVD

To use the above mentioned discs with a computer without an optical drive, use the MacBook Air SuperDrive or the Apple USB SuperDrive.

according to this article:

DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc - Apple Support

You will need a locally-attached DVD Reader to do these Installs, unless you have another Mac from which you could 'Remote Install'. If you have another Mac that can run 10.6, you could also install on an external drive, then move that drive to your Mac Pro. I bought myself a DVD enclosure with its own power supply, Installed a desktop DVD reader into it, and can now use it on any of my computers. (The enclosure cost more than the drive.)

If you have never run a "cleaning disc" through your existing DVD Reader, you should try that first.

Restarts then never boots into install for new OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.