Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use a USB SuperDrive with a MacBook Pro that has a non-working built-in optical drive?

I have a used MacBook Pro with a non-functioning optical drive. I would like to upgrade my OS to Snow Leopard, but I need a functioning optical drive to do so. Is there any way that I can get the USB SuperDrive to communicate with my MacBook so that I do not have to get the internal optical drive replaced?

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 8:43 AM

No, the superdrive works only with Mac that don't have an optical superdrive built in in the first place.

However, if you have a newer Mac that could support the SuperDrive or another computer (Mac or PC) which has an optical drive, you could use this: DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc - Apple Support

2 replies

Is it possible to use a USB SuperDrive with a MacBook Pro that has a non-working built-in optical drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.