Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LED Cinema Display as external monitor for MacBook Pro; undocking makes keyboard and mouse inactive

I have the following equipment:

1. MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, late 2013 w/ Lightning

2GHz Core i7

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OSX 10.9.5

2. LED Cinema Display 27-inch

2560x1440

3. Apple external USB keyboard and Magic Mouse

My issue is this:

When using the computer with the LED Cinema display as the primary monitor, I am having undocking issues. I must follow the below procedure every time I disconnect the Lightning connection, otherwise my laptop's keyboard and mouse do not function. If I don't follow this procedure, I must either restart the computer or reconnect the computer to the monitor, and then disconnect using the procedure below. This is huge inconvenience for me as I move from desk work to meetings all day long.

Procedure that allows proper functionality:

1. Computer connected to LED Cinema display via Lightning connection

2. Open laptop

3. Wait for computer display to awaken

4. Unplug Lightning external display connection

5. Close laptop

6. Reopen when needed

If I don't follow this procedure, the screen will show properly with all my applications open; but the keyboard and mouse will not function.

A possibly connected issue, but an inconsistent one, is that the external keyboard USB (also an Apple product) must be unplugged and plugged from the LED Cinema display for external keyboard to function.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Any solutions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 8:32 AM

8 replies

LED Cinema Display as external monitor for MacBook Pro; undocking makes keyboard and mouse inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.