Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay mirroring sound but no picture

Hello,

I've searched through the forums and have found several threads on mirror issues with airplay but none of the answers helped me get up and running.

I have reviewed the airplay guides on apple.com as well as the trouble shooting guides for airplay mirroring with no success. I believe all my system components meet the requirements but I still get sound with no picture when using desktop mirroring.

I am using:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.1

Apple TV

Model A1427

Software 7.0.2 (6915)

Signal Strength is 5 bubbles

Ipad

4th Gen Wi-Fi

Model MD510LL/A

Software iOS 8.1.2

I have turned on airplay on my apple tv and restarted / reconnected it several times. I have also restarted my mabook pro several times. Airplay mirroring works fine on my iPad i just can't seem to get picture from my macbook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 11:12 AM

ASCarlisle,

Thank you, the issue was my wireless router. I was using a Lynksys E2500 I had purchased a couple years ago. When I plugged my computer via Ethernet wire into the router the mirroring worked like a charm. I then tried to update the firmware on that router, which resulted in my bricking it. I went to BestBuy and replaced my router with an Apple Airport and now I'm mirroring with no issues.

thank you again for the help.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2015 11:12 AM in response to ASCarlisle

ASCarlisle,

Thank you, the issue was my wireless router. I was using a Lynksys E2500 I had purchased a couple years ago. When I plugged my computer via Ethernet wire into the router the mirroring worked like a charm. I then tried to update the firmware on that router, which resulted in my bricking it. I went to BestBuy and replaced my router with an Apple Airport and now I'm mirroring with no issues.

thank you again for the help.

Dec 31, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Aprov

Hello there, Aprov.

Great job being thorough on troubleshooting the issue and isolating it down to your Mac. At this point your next step would be to follow the recommendations in the following Knowledge Base article for troubleshooting with an alternate user account:

Isolating an issue by using another user account - Apple Support

If you isolate the issue to only your user account, then the article offers the following recommendations:

If the issue happens in only one user account

If you have isolated an issue to a single user account, then you should focus your troubleshooting on that user and specific apps that have symptoms when logged in as that user. Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue provides some assistance with this. If you are just seeing the issue in one account, you most likely do not need to reinstall any apps.

Make sure you're using the most recent version of Mac OS X. If you're using a version of OS X Lion earlier than 10.7.4, see this article for assistance.

If you are seeing issues with an application unexpectedly quitting in just one account:

Other, app-specific issues isolated to a single user account can be caused by a preference file (plist) or setting. Check the app's documentation or support website for instructions on troubleshooting specific preference or setting files. For example, iLife preference troubleshooting is documented in iLife: Troubleshooting Basics. If you are looking for help with troubleshooting a specific alert message or issue, you should try searching the Apple Support website for the text of the alert message you're seeing.

If you need more help with troubleshooting an issue isolated to a specific user account, you may wish to contact Apple Support. If you work with AppleCare to troubleshoot the issue, be sure to mention any troubleshooting steps you have already performed and the results, and the text of any alert messages you're seeing. You may want to take a screenshot of any alert messages so you can refer to them later.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Dec 31, 2014 10:29 PM in response to pedro d

Pedro,

Thanks for the reply. I reinstalled OSX Yosemite and tried to use airplay mirroring. The first time I clicked on it I thought I was set, up popped a mirror display on my tv. Then I opened safari to test and see how streaming a video would look and I noticed that my airplay mirroring had froze. I would get sound but the picture would not change on the tv. I restarted the apple TV and my macbook pro. When I tried to mirror image again I had the same problem I originally did with sound going through but no picture (the TV screen just goes black). I don't think this is an issue of other app interference because I've never installed any third party apps for mirroring / streaming my computer. My bluetooth is also turned off on my computer and apple TV. I tried to use airplay through iTunes but the sound comes through choppy, however when I send it through airplay mirroring the sound is fine but no picture.

My next step in the morning will be to reset my macbook to factory software settings and try it again. If that doesn't work I hope someone can suggest another alternative to try.

airplay mirroring sound but no picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.